Oh no, I'm allergic to hay and most grasses. can I keep the new buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philodice

Reaction score
I don't want to be one of those *people* who buy and abandon bunnies! What should I do? I can't keep the food in the house!

Hubby allergic to hay also...

keep the buns and food outside, bring them in when you want to play with them. or if y'all have a screened in back porch, keep them out there. they'll be nice and close to you and you can see them/they can see you, but the hay and stuff won't bother ya'll.

i'm sure other's will chime in with lots of other ideas. good luck:hug1

If it is the hay you could keep the hay outside, or you could do hay cubes. Maybe a Hepa filter in the room where the buns and hay are?

Have you had testing and know for sure that it is hay and all grasses? Sometimes people are alot more sensitive to certain brands or types of hay.

I cant use Kaytee hay when i use that kind of hay i get bumps on my hands, i sneeze like there is no tommorrow, my eyes itch like crazy, and i wheeze. When i use oxbow hay i dont get like that. I am sure that other people on here have some alternatives to t his problem and they will chime in and help out.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I'd be devastated if I was in a similar situation.

A really good friend of mine has 4 bunnies and is incredibly allergic to grass hays of any type. And all of her rabbits are house rabbits. She has them in a separate room of her home and also has an air purifier in the room with them. When she gets hay for the bunnies, she doesn't bring it into the house until she's ready to feed it. And when she first gets they hay in she goes out with it and a mask (the kind used by doctors, nurses, and immuno-supressed people that goes over the nose and mouth - you can also buy the kind sold at home improvement stores for construction workers or painters). Then she puts daily-sized portions of the hay into brown paper bags. That way the dust and strands of hay don't get around the house and the bunnies get to do some extra foraging. It's worked for her, maybe that's an option for you too.

At any rate, I hope you find a solution so you don't have to get rid of your buns.

Hi there!

I have 7 bunnies, asthma, and my bf and I both have severe allergies. Heres what we do to minimize allergy problems:

Try keeping the hay in a closet or garage or something where you wont breathe it as much. Wear gloves and/or a mask when you handle it. If thats even too much try switching to timothy hay cubes.

When you first bring home a bag of food, take it outside and run it through a strainer to remove the dust. You can also shake your hay out outside to reduce allergens.

Third, HEPA filters! We have two large ones in the bedroom and living room. We also change our air filters in the house regularly. Vacuuming up hair and dust a lot helps as well.

We also keep lots of Claritin and Benedryl on hand and we do ok :)

Latest posts

Back