Oh no I hit a blood vessel!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochi_ball

Reaction score
I was giving mochi her sub-Q shot, I poked her with the syringe, injected the bicillin, BUT when I withdrew the needle, blood started gushing out!!! I was scared but quickly compressed the wound with sterilized cotton ballto stop the bleeding for about 2 minutes. Luckily she stopped bleeding... So far she acts a little spooked out but is responsive to a papaya tablet. (No seizures or anythig happening and I made sure there were no air bubbles in the syringe before).

Is she going to be okay??? She looks fine so far and its been about 30 minutes since the accident.

Also, would the amount of bicillin injected reach her system as effectively as if I had given it correctly?

Also is she in pain right now? Doesn't look like it but i want to be sure...

:(

We're about to shut down the forum, so nobody can comment on this until tomorrow, but there is a thread from Offspring including a post from Randy saying he's done the same thing with no ill effects.

Best to email Randy and AngieLuv , although they might not be on until tomorrow, either, or better yet, sign up at our Yahoo Group and I'll dig out the info I've got on that and post it there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rabbits

Can you acknowledge this post? I'll turn the forum off after you do so.

So sorry!

sas :clover:

hi everyone thanks for the concern. I emailed randy last night and got a reply pretty fast. Mochi's fine and lively.

I tried to find the wound where she was bleeding and I couldn't even find it. I saw her licking and cleaning that area a lot last night so she probably cleaned up the remaning blood stains.

Mochi,

If I were to guess what happened, I would think that you probably poked through blood vessel. Our vet says if so much (.4cc in our case) gets into the blood stream, the bun would be in trouble for a while. 20-30 minutes of possible seizures and just feeling uncomfortable.

Here are our two incidents. Although I really think we hit a nerve twice. I also think that maybe we got it(bicillin) into the muscle in our 2nd incident.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=31308&forum_id=16&page=1

mochi_ball wrote:
I was giving mochi her sub-Q shot, I poked her with the syringe, injected the bicillin, BUT when I withdrew the needle, blood started gushing out!!! I was scared but quickly compressed the wound with sterilized cotton ballto stop the bleeding for about 2 minutes. Luckily she stopped bleeding... So far she acts a little spooked out but is responsive to a papaya tablet. (No seizures or anythig happening and I made sure there were no air bubbles in the syringe before).

Is she going to be okay??? She looks fine so far and its been about 30 minutes since the accident.

Also, would the amount of bicillin injected reach her system as effectively as if I had given it correctly?

Also is she in pain right now? Doesn't look like it but i want to be sure...

:(

Latest posts

Back