Oh my...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mira

Reaction score
Gosh, never sendsomeone who doesn't know their stuff to go buy anything for your bun:?

I just got finished cleaning my bun's cage,however, I failed to realize the we had no shavings. I asked my dad togo get more (he had just come home from work and was tired, so, don'tget me wrong,I'm grateful that he actually went, but...) hecame home with a nice, fresh-smelling cedar/pine mix. I'm only vaguelyaware of the health problems associated with these softwoods.Unfortunatly, I would have felt bad telling him that I couldn't use theshavings... it's just that he went back to the store even though he'drather sleep -sigh-. So I was wondering if anyone could fill me in onthe possible danger my poor baby is in... I feel like a horriblebun-mom.

It's a cedar/pine mix

It is "air-dried" (if that really means anything...)

Aww... I just feel so horrible :bawl:

I think using it for just a few days would be fine. Maybe use it until you can get someone to take you to buy the right stuff?

I know that rabbits have experienced urinary tract infections andbreathing problems due to these shavings, but I assume that is from useover a long period of time.

Or could you use some newspaper until tomorrow? I know what you meanthuogh, your dad was nice enough to stop even though he was tired.Maybe tomorrow someone could take you?

Oh, and youre a great bunny mom, dont feel bad ;)

Well, I think thata short termexposure for a day or two until you can get some better bedding won'tdo any permanent damage.

Most of the problems come from prolonged exposure and can include respitory problems and kidney/liver problems.

And welcome to RO! Please feel free to post an introductionto you and your bunny in the introduction section and start a blog foryour bunny in the bunny blogs section.

--Dawn

Rosie and Ithankyou for your wisdom:nod! She'll prbably have to live with it for a fewdays. At first I thought she'd notice the difference (in scent), butshe seems fairly unaware.

I knew of the kidney/liver problems, but not therespitoryissues, so, thats always good toknow.

EDIT: Oh, and I have posted an intoduction

ya dude i had a rabbit that died from cedarshavings if there is a farm store near you see ifyou can buy some bales of straw or if u can get some at all get thestraw or hay.

i believe pine mixes can alsocause liver damage.

cedar shavings tend to give urinary tract infections and upperrespiratory infections that cant alwaysbe fixed with over thecounter products. try using something else in the meantime.

id stay away from pine and cedar at all times.

man i wish my dad would do some nice things for me when he was tiredlol. i think the nicest thing he did was give me the tv remote lol.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::X:X:(:(:mad::mad::mad:dontmake her sad................tell her what to use for the time being nottell her what her bunny will die of .

Brandon...

It's good to tell people what the possible problems from using certainmaterials will be. Better to give someone the information,than them think it's not a big deal and attempt to use the materialbecause they have nothing else.

brandon wrote:
:shock::shock::shock::shock::X:X:(:(:mad::mad::mad:dontmake her sad................tell her what to use for the time being nottell her what her bunny will die of .

maherwoman wrote:
It's good to tell people what the possible problems fromusing certain materials will be. Better to give someone theinformation, than them think it's not a big deal and attempt to use thematerial because they have nothing else.
:yeahthat

Everywhere I'veread is see that shaving are bad.

Carefresh bedding is great. Just use it where they pee, therest can be covered with daily news paper. Forexample both of our buns like to pee in the corner, so corners arecovered with bedding.

Also sometimes stores have sales on it, so grab a few. Or one can look for bulk orders online.

Not only carefresh is healthier, but it seems to capture the smell.

Thank you all. And I'mfully aware of the problems. I still haven't got anything else (as I ammoney-less and, of course, at fourteen, I'm car-less).

This is the first time I've ever used pine/cedar, because I knew of thedangers. I'm sure she'll be fine, as nothing has happened yet, and mymom is taking me bunny toy/shaving/food shopping tomorrow, fun!

Definitely no worries Mira, using it for acouple days won't harm them at all. It's long(er) term use that posesthe risks of health problems.

BTW, Welcome to RO!

Latest posts

Back