Oh man...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binky Bunnies

Reaction score
I have some bad news =( I'm going to have toreturn Gabby and Sunday to the rescue place....When we brought home therabbits, we were in the process of waiting for my aunt and uncle tostart building us a small pre-fabricated granny house in their backyardand had told the landlord that the bunnies would only be heretemporarily since we would be moving soon, which she was fine with.But, unfortunately the plans fell through and now we have to move intoanother apartment where the landlord will only accept ourdogand -one- rabbit. Only one. I begged and pleaded with her, giving heras much information on rabbits and how they're great apartment bunnies,but she was a stick in the mud. Only one...I can't believe it. It'sridiculous that she'll let us have one but not two. One bunny takes upthe same amount of space and...I don't know. It just doesn't make senseto me. I have to give them back on Saturday...This was the onlyapartment we could find in our price range that would accept pets andwas in a good area. This is going to be so hard...and I just met all ofyou too...I suppose we might get another rabbit..but it depends. I'llkeep you guys posted.

Very sorry to hear that you can't keep bothbunnies. Would the landlord accept both if you forfeit yoursecurity deposit?

Pam

Sorry to hear that. I dont understand why are youreturning both rabbits?? I am in a sitation i need to move to a cheaperplace and i have too many animals too. What can i say i loveanimals. They dont talk back!!

Cristy

I'm in the same situation. I'm moving Wednesdayand I have to leave Meg behind. But luckily for me she can stay with myfamily so I can still see her once or twice a month. Do you have anyonein your family who could take them??

That is a sickening feeling. I live inan absolute dump because this is all I could find where I couldbring all of my family with me. I live on an acreage, and Iusually tell people that the old barn is almost in better shape thanthe house. Corporate farm owners of where I had lived,decided to bulldoze that place.....and the house on that place was inbetter condition than this one. And all the wonderful treesbit the dust, too! This place is not worth what I pay in rentevery month. A lot of people tell me that I should "just getrid of all the animals and move to a low rent apartment"...especiallytill I get thru school. To me, that would be like taking akid out and placing him in the street.

Pamnock had a good suggestion. Is this a possibility for youfinancially? Or like me, is there someplace else that isn'tas nice, but where your critter family would be okay?

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

- Dolores

i know this is bad of me to say but ......................

you said you are moving right????? couldnt you just say yougot rid of the bunny and when she comes over ether have it hidden ortake it to a freind or famillys house????

I agree with gjsara ... maybe you don't have totell your landlord. My fiance live in an apartment buildingwhere were are not supposed to have pets. Buns are easy tohide. Plus, legally, your landlord cannot come into yourapartment without telling you before hand (that would give you time tohide the buns) or if there is an emergency. Buns are quite,so I doubt she would even suspect anything. Good luck, i'llkeep my fingers crossed for you.

Leigh-Anne

lscarincio wrote:
Iagree with gjsara ... maybe you don't have to tell yourlandlord. My fiance live in an apartment building where wereare not supposed to have pets. Buns are easy tohide. Plus, legally, your landlord cannot come into yourapartment without telling you before hand (that would give you time tohide the buns) or if there is an emergency. Buns are quite,so I doubt she would even suspect anything. Good luck, i'llkeep my fingers crossed for you.

Leigh-Anne

I'm a landlord, so I don't condone trying to sneak something by thepropertyownerBadIdea!:XLOL

It's also uncomfortable to have to live with that stress of alwaystrying to hide something. Although it's illegal for thelandlord to enter your home, it's also illegal to break the terms ofthe rental agreement.

Today I'm doing the "Landlord's Happy Dance" -- the "renter from Hades"moved out, so I'm busy cleaning and painting the house to get it readyfor the new (and hopefully better) renters.

Pam

pamnock- We are a single parent family and we'revery tight with money as it is, besides the fact that my lovely fatherlikes to send his child support checks 4 months late. At the moment itjust really wouldn't be a possibilty.

mygrl2k3- The bunnies I have are a bonded pair and cannot be seperated no matter what. They love each other far too much.

MyBunnyLovesMe- The only family I have in the area are my grandparentswho are not in good enough health to take care of the bunnies and myaunt & uncle who have two dogs that would love nothing morethan to shred my bunns apart.

Dolores- Like I said before, my mother is a single parent who worksfull time and I'm at homeall day long alone. She wanted us tobe in a good area where she wouldn't be worried sick about me andthings would be safer for the both of us.

If I had only adopted one bunn things would be fine but I just couldn'tresist the little furballs. I really don't understand what herproblemis :?Thanks to everyone who was keeping mein their thoughts. I really do appreciate it :)

I rent a duplex and we are not supposed to havepets,when we moved in I asked if we could have a pet,the landlord wouldraise the rent $50.00 a month. We had our Pepper when we moved in andwe never told the landlord we had Pepper and he never comesaround(landlord)What he doesn't know won't hurt.If the landlord everdid come over we would put him in our bedroom with the door closed.Pepper is the only pet we have and we don't want to pay $50.00 more amonth on rent when we are paying already $650.00. We're trying to getsomething cheaper to move into,but haven't found anything worth movinginto.

pamnock wrote:
lscarincio wrote:
I agree withgjsara ... maybe you don't have to tell your landlord. Myfiance live in an apartment building where were are not supposed tohave pets. Buns are easy to hide. Plus, legally,your landlord cannot come into your apartment without telling youbefore hand (that would give you time to hide the buns) or if there isan emergency. Buns are quite, so I doubt she would evensuspect anything. Good luck, i'll keep my fingers crossed foryou.

Leigh-Anne

I'm a landlord, so I don't condone trying to sneak something by thepropertyownerBadIdea!:XLOL

It's also uncomfortable to have to live with that stress of alwaystrying to hide something. Although it's illegal for thelandlord to enter your home, it's also illegal to break the terms ofthe rental agreement.

Today I'm doing the "Landlord's Happy Dance" -- the "renter from Hades"moved out, so I'm busy cleaning and painting the house to get it readyfor the new (and hopefully better) renters.

Pam
HI! Pam

I was wondering are you renting aapartment,house,or duplex? Also,my husband is looking for jobas a janitor,do they hire alot of that in your state?the job marketaround where we live he's having a hard time because of the economy inMichigan.We want to move where their are jobs.
Do you allow pets as a landlord?

Pepper wrote:

HI! Pam

I was wondering are you renting aapartment,house,or duplex? Also,my husband is looking for jobas a janitor,do they hire alot of that in your state?the job marketaround where we live he's having a hard time because of the economy inMichigan.We want to move where their are jobs.
Do you allow pets as a landlord?

We rent out both a small house and a duplex. Both are on ourproperty in close proximity to our own house. We allow pets,but the security deposit is not returned due to the extra cleaning,damage and in some cases, carpet replacement.One of thetenants dogs has smashed through thestorm doortwicealready :(

Tenantsdo have the benefit of having us here to pet sit when they are out of town :)

We live in western PA in a tiny "gift shop" borough near a college town(Thiel College). We moved here 3 years ago because we enjoyedthequaint littletown.

No jobs here, most of the manufacturing has gone belly-up.Both my husband and son work out of state. I'm a stay-at-homemom and make extra money judging rabbits at ARBA sanctioned shows andalso as a 4-H judge.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Tenantsdo have the benefit of having us here to pet sit when they are out of town :)
WowI wish you was my Landlord I spent about £300 boarding my Cat and Daisy and Buster last year LOL.

Also I do sort of agree with you about pets. When we moved into ourhouse it was in a mess from the previous owners who had a large dog.They were out at work all day and just left the dog to its own devices(poor thing). Anyway, we were so desperate to get in it we told thelandlord we would sort it all out ourselves (I still cringe at the flearidden sofa that they left for us, that Ryan had to move on his own andthedog mess all up the walls and on the carpet-eugh). I think we have the Landlord from hell, he wont do a thingwithout being pestered 24 hours a day. The carpet was just too muchthough, especially with a small child.

Binky Bunnies - I don't get it myself what difference an extra rabbitin the same cage makes, but in the end its the Landlord that makes therules. My Landlords fine with Daisy and Buster. It's up to you if youdecide to hide them (like he/she would everknow). Whateveryou decide to do I wish you good luck. I really hope your landlordchangesher mind.

Vickie

Vickie and Pepper- We would hide the bunnies butin the case that something needs to be fixed in the apartment or needsto be checked out by the landlord, we couldn't risk her seeing both.See, the complex is very small with only about ten other tenants, so ifanything neededto be checked out, the landlord would comeright up and into the apartment and I probably wouldn't have time tomove the pen and all. I tried talking to her again today and shefinally said that if we really must keep both bunns, then maybe we needto find another apartment. I think no matter what I tell her, she isgoing to believe that two bunnies is too much and that they'll be aproblem for some reason. I tried as hard as I could and I have afeeling that the girls are going to have to leave us...it breaks myheart but we're just not in a good situation at the moment :(

It seems that at this point you are making thebest decision for your family and for the rabbits by not splitting themup. I wouldn't risk eviction by breaking the terms of therent and trying to sneak the rabbits in.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Itseems that at this point you are making the best decision for yourfamily and for the rabbits by not splitting them up. Iwouldn't risk eviction by breaking the terms of the rent and trying tosneak the rabbits in.

Pam
Good advice. If your landlord was to find them and you weretobe evictedthen you and AND the bunnies would behomeless (therefore probably ending up back in a shelter anyway) BinkyI'm so sorry it seems like taking them back is the only option for you.

Vickie

Im sorry you have to return the bunns.Im alandlord also my daughter and her fiance live in our mobile home.shehas 4 dogs she keeps bringing in strays and one of them tore up thedoor and paneling and wet all over the carpet.I had to insist no moredogs in the house.Hundreds of dollars of damage and i didnt get asecurity deposit.The rabbits i allow in the house they didnt do anydamage.live and learn.bluebird

I'm a renter now, but have been on the other sideof the fence, also. In my particular situation as a landlord,I kind of wonder if pets could have made and left as big a mess asthose people did.

I was way upfront with people when I had to move, and that's whyit was so hard to find any place to move to. So helpme, there are a lot of people who can and do make worse messes than anyof my "critters", but people seem to count legs instead of the contentof the head that goes with the legs. So, I live in a realdump, but I have all of my loves with me, so that's what counts to me,personally.

I know how much I love all my kids. I know how I would feelif they were taken away from me. My heart hurts for you.

- Dolores

Good point Dolores -- A recent tentants 2 yearold managed to destroy the downstairs of the house within 2 months time-- what a mess :( I would have preferred any critter overthat!

Pam

Thank you to everyone who has tried to help andfor your kind words. It means a lot to me :)Right now I'mjust spending as much time with them as possible. That's all I cando....At least I know they'll find another good home where hopefullythey'll be spoiled to death lol

Back