Oh...guess what I read?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I don't usuallyuse shavings to tell you the truth...only in the winter. The rest ofthe time I use hay :D

I use Pine presh litter which is made from pineand coniferous woods, ShouldI stop?? and change the litter Iuse? I brought a new bag of it today, it was a toss up between that anda reciled paper litter butI thought bunnies chew and eatpaper so it would be bad:? HELP . I dont like thelitter I use much anyway because when they have peed on it it goes likesawdust and having long haired bunnies they manage to get some in therefur:? even thioughI cleam them out every day.

Have you opened the bag? if not I would take it back and get the paper litter and pay the difference.

The Woody Pet is Awesome as litter and it's cheap. I would look into that as a better alternative.

Tina

I use Critter care. I normally get it at walmartbut i think the name brand at the pet stores is carefresh. Seems likethe same stuff to me.

Cristy

For all small furries I have used Pine shavings.My hamsters in particular loved it as they used to bury under it. LikeI said previously the only problem with pine shavings with animals isthe quickness that they need cleaning out and the mess it makes. Pineshavings is perfectly safe if cleaned regularly.

Vickie

The Truth About Pine Shavings

there are many articles out there and here is another for the reading..

I think the majority of PINE shavings are heat procesed or kiln driednow a days, but i also think that some studies are done one sided andhyped up w/o true and real results but partial ones..

Thanks for that article Gabby. This subject is socontroversial, I don't think anyone will ever have a right or wronganswer to if pine is safe or not. I can understand some buns or smallanimals beign allergic to it. Maybe the Woody pet type is the best forpeople who are worried or who have just got their bun. Mine have beenonPine for a long time and have never had problems, but whoknows how another may react to it.

Vickie

DaisyNBuster wrote:
Thanks for that article Gabby. This subject is socontroversial, I don't think anyone will ever have a right or wronganswer to if pine is safe or not. I can understand some buns or smallanimals beign allergic to it. Maybe the Woody pet type is the best forpeople who are worried or who have just got their bun. Mine have beenonPine for a long time and have never had problems, but whoknows how another may react to it.

Vickie
before i used woodypet i used pine for years and had many old buns, shoot i have a 5 yr old hamster on pine shavings...

While i do think cedar is a problem due to it's strong odor if nothingelse I don't generally think everything else may be as bad as someplaces to claim, and maybe others are worse who knows....

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/liver-disease.html

I don't use critter bedding (because Pipp sleeps on MY bedding), although I do use Woody Pet (thanks Jim!) for her litter tray.

That said, I wouldn't use pine or cedar beddingif my bunnywas cagedbecause the abovearticle from the HouseRabbit Societyrelates a real life experience, and I'm notgoing to take that kind of a chance.

And I do hope that people who say they've been using the wood shavingswith no problems are saying that becausetheir bunnies havebeen tested (or after an autopsy, even if the cause was thought to besomething else). Not every bunny with elevatedenzyme levels will develop problems, and liver problems may not cause abunny's direct demise, but I imagine it can shorten a lifespan or makeit harder for a bun to recover from other ailments. Makessense, anyway.

SAS

Latest posts

Back