Oh boy...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
So, I was getting a headstart by listing bunnies on a local site. And I got a reply from a girl who wanted a doe which was old enough to breed. No big deal I told her I don't have what she wants. Anyways, she ended up telling me her doe just hasn't taken. She is trying to breed a new Zealand white to white Satin. No big deal. Anyways the part I am questioning is, she came back to me with so many questions about the breeding such as what age can they breed, and if a small female can be bred with a larger male. I told her no because f complications. And she said she just wants Baby bunnies as soon as possible. Just doesn't sound like she has done enough research to give it a go. But I guess everyone has their opinions. I want to so badly tell her to do more research before she tries it but I don't want to sound rude.

We have our first litter arriving later this week an as excited as I am, I never would have tried to breed them without doing the research I did.

Would you say something her her or just leave it alone?

Just leave it alone. Sounds like she has her mind set for baby bunnies. No matter what you say will change that. Doesn't matter what you say, if she wants it bad enough, she's going to get it. I just wouldn't sell to her. If you feel uneasy on a sale, which I would on this one, it's your responsibility as a responsible breeder to say, No. You don't have to educate people on breeding. Or suggest more research.

K

Thanks. I answered her questions. And will not be selling to her. I had offered to sell her my one doe that I can not breed because she is my bucks sister. Anyways. I changed my mind after she asked about breeding small does to large bucks. A mini Rex/holland lop is definitely too small to breed with a new Zealand. I did tell her that there would be complications with that. Hopefully she understood

Though I try to not be rude when I get emailed by a person like that. I do also try to educate them. IF they get mad and stop emailing/talking to me, oh well. IF they don't even listen and go ahead and do what they want to, Oh well. There is always the chance that they might actually listen. I also am sure to point out that while there is usually a market for Meat and SHOW Quality rabbits, it can be close to impossible to give away pet bunnies. I figure at least that way I tried to help both the person and the bunnies. I have refused sales in similar situations. But there are other situations like this where a couple paragraphs on good rabbit care and warnings can make a big difference. I have one like that now. Who has in the last six months bought three rabbits from us. All three are alive and healthy, and they did it the right way though at first they where going to get a $5 doe from a craigslist add because that way they could get babies right away. After I explained why my rabbits are $20-$30 and why I thought they shouldn't buy that doe if they intended to breed they agreed, When the doe they just picked up last week is six months old they will be breeding two nice rabbits together, who have great lines behind them and hopefully will result in some really nice babies. I have mentors who have helped me and still do help me on a weekly basis often. I have no problem being a mentor to others!

Sorry didn't mean to make this so long. I also think what you told the person was good. Just wanted to point out the benefits of " wasting your breath" and taking the risk of sounding rude.

Thanks. Also today I ended up with an email asking if I would be willing to trade on of my bunnies when they are old enough for this Persons daughters rabbit who scratches and bits and kicks when brig picked up because he will make a great breeding rabbit just not a good pet, oh and she got him from a pet store. Then she was upset with me after I told her no because I didn't want to breed a rabbit that does all that and I don't know the background too.

I may end up keeping some bunnies because I am a bit picky. But that's alright too

So, I was on our local ad website, and came across this one ad:

"I am looking for a medium/large breed female rabbit. Breed doesnt matter, just as long as she is 6 months or older. Around the dafoe area, but can travel to saskatoon or regina if needed. Please email if you have what I am looking for! Thanks"

I replied, because I had a suspicion that this is the same person who contacted me and all these questions about breeding and wanting to trade with me. Well, I replied to it, and sure enough, it is her. I don't know why, but it just seems to be bugging me. She obviously does not care about the breed or the rabbits or bunnies best interest. To me it looks like she is out to "make" some money.

I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it is.

I would definitely educate politely! Even if you can't change their minds at least you tried, you know?

Latest posts

Back