Oh Boy!! Nail trimming is always challenge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindy10

Reaction score
Don't know who I felt more sorry for. Blossom or myself!! My arms and legs are covered with scratches trying to pick her up. Next time I wearan armor suit!! Then I cut one to short so she starting to bleed and I felt so sorry for her!! I had no powder in the house so I had to use bread (a trick my vet told me about) Once she is on the table she is so scared she is fine. I cover her head with a light blanket and she does not move an inch!! She riped out so much hair from kicking I think I can make a sweater out of it!! Thank god thats done for the month!!

This has to be my most avoided slave duty.

I trimmed Bugs's nails a bit back and went a little too low, not enough for bleeding, but enough to hurt him.. later that day he bit me hard enough to draw blood.. i hate trimming nails lol

My most avoided bunny slave job, too. I couldn't do it alone, so often had vet do it. The vet did it with two people also.

I did develop a very complicated proceedure for doing it alone at home: I would wait until bunny was very relaxed. I would sprinkle treats around the floor. I would get down on the floor and follow her and wait until a foot was in the exact right spot for clipping. Then I would clip. It took awhile;)

Try taking her somewhere new or even going for a care ride before. Rabbits tend to be a bit calmer away from home or when stressed a bit.
Getting her used to the handling you do when trimming her nails will help too. If she is used to being handled, then it will be easier on her.

After almost 7 years of rabbits, I have a few scars from scratches. I have learned how to handle them to help avoid it, keep them calm and not cut the quick.

Nail clipping is no big deal for me. I actually like to do it. When I go over to one of my friends sometimes I will just start to clip their rabbits nails. (they have 200+ rabbits, so can not get around to clipping them all in time). If I know that the rabbit is a jumper I will wear kevlar sleeves. Here they are. https://www.bunnyrabbit.com/brcom.html. These have saved me from having an amputated finger. They are bite proof and chew proof.

I can never do Bonnie or Casey's, they are just a nightmare! Alice is ok, but get's bored after sitting there for a while and tries to get off me and then starts scratching me :) But Buckley and Bella are perfect! I just sit them on my knee (i don't put them on their back) and they just stay still and i lift each foot up and clip each nail EASILY, they don't move one bit! I actually love cutting their nails! :D

Latest posts

Back