Off topic, but may help some people...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysweetbunny

Reaction score
Recently I purchased an $8genericIvermectin paste (1.87%)at a local feedstore, the owner told me that people also use this treatment for dogswhen they don't have funds for heartworm upkeep. It was toldto him by HIS vet/friend when he called him. (the owner hadasobbing dog owner in his storethat could notafford heartworm treatment... the dog may have died from thistreatment, since he never heard back from the owner... the dog soundedtoo far gone to survive the treatment in the first place, imo)

This was of interest to me since I have a friend who takes in straydogs and has told me that she can't afford to put them all on heartwormmedication. So I obtained this info to pass along to her.Thought it might help others in same predicament. If she tries it Iwill pass along the results.

This treatment is for a dog that currently has heartworms. There was nomention of weight of animal. The vet said this treatment will treat theheartworms, kill them, and the dog survives for monthlytreatments. Or the treatment will kill the dog if too sickfrom heartworms.

Ivermectin Paste- (1.87%) for dog with heartworm

1/10 cc- day one, increasing by 1/10 cc following days up to 1 Full cc.

Then 1cc-each day for28 days.........

now for a heartworm FREE dog.... heartworm maintainance

1/2 cc per month (no weight indicated)

***********Use this advice at your own risk. ***********

mysweetbunny wrote:
Recently I purchased an $8 genericIvermectin paste(1.87%)at a local feed store, the owner told me that peoplealso use this treatment for dogs when they don't have funds forheartworm upkeep. It was told to him by HIS vet/friend whenhe called him. (the owner had asobbing dog owner inhis storethat could not afford heartworm treatment... the dogmay have died from this treatment, since he never heard back from theowner... the dog sounded too far gone to survive the treatment in thefirst place, imo)

This was of interest to me since I have a friend who takes in straydogs and has told me that she can't afford to put them all on heartwormmedication. So I obtained this info to pass along to her.Thought it might help others in same predicament. If she tries it Iwill pass along the results.

This treatment is for a dog that currently has heartworms. There was nomention of weight of animal. The vet said this treatment will treat theheartworms, kill them, and the dog survives for monthlytreatments. Or the treatment will kill the dog if too sickfrom heartworms.

Ivermectin Paste- (1.87%) for dog with heartworm

1/10 cc- day one, increasing by 1/10 cc following days up to 1 Full cc.

Then 1cc-each day for28 days.........

now for a heartworm FREE dog.... heartworm maintainance

1/2 cc per month (no weight indicated)

***********Use this advice at your own risk. ***********
My dog Ginger had heart worms when we found her (we found her along w/her two brothers around a month or so of age, the evil people had justDUMPED them:mad:but, it's kinda a good thing cause now i have her andgave the others to good homes:angel:) She had them pretty bad...We hadher treated and IMO i think it's best to get them treated by avet....heartworms are a VERY hard thing to rid of easily (w/ outconsequence) and have the dog recover well, w/ out propercare.....Not trying to offend anyone.

Ellie

Heart worm SHOULD NEVER be taken lightly ,

This is one thing that should be treated by a vet!

This directly off the back of the box the Ivermectin comes in

Caution: IVERCARE(Ivermectin) Paste has been formulatedspecifically for use in horses only. This product shouls not be used inother aniaml species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalitiesin dogs may result.

I would not recommend trying this for treating dogs. Heartworms are best left to a vet to treat.

Tina

Back