Odd stress-like behaviour (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
I came home tonight and it was a little past the time for the boys' pellets so i gave Storm his scattered on his floor and lured Lümi to eat from the lid, on my lap, as i know he's much more finnicky when it comes to things like that.

He seemed okay but shortly after that he started flinging his body around, tossing&turning, stretching out so long as he could (the crate is too tiny so i opened the door) and then ran around all over, laying down for a moment and then changing positions. He is breathing pretty fast and a bit shallow, don't hear any wheesies, phewh.
Initially thought he may be sprawling out of heat, gave a bowl of cool water:refused; forage greens also refused; slice of tomato also didn't interest him.
As he flop around restlessly, he tossed hinself onto my arm and into my face, yet he still couldn't calm down after 10 minutes-he's less squirmy but restless.

We suspect it's because i came home and the last time Lümi saw me was 8th-9th may. (Vocational school "practice" work thing, i'm unable to stay home on weekdays, home for the weekend, sadly cannot bring him along, dorm forbids any pets) but he didn't freak out nearly as much the weekend before.

So i was wondering, besides giving him enough space to sprawl whichever way he wants, supplying him with an extra hiding box, some small pets if he allows it, and just keeping an eye out for anything even more alarming, is there anything that would help calm him?
I found plenty of things to do when a rabbit is stressed from moving, the vet, fireworks etc etc, but none for my situation...

Uhh... I'm really worried for him.
He's switched from being jumpy to being kinda low, as of he had no energy but to sit in one place and flop, loaf, whatever. He's still panting but hasn't grinded his teeth, he hasn't been very responsive to me slightly nudging him and won't take pellets or hay, he'll just hold them in his mouth or spit it back out. He seems kind of weak and his mouth is sort of dry...
I'm silently bawling my eyes out as we can't get any vet help tonight (it's almost midnight already) and i don't know ehat to do...

Any time I've had a rabbit behave this way, it means there's some sort of health issue making them very uncomfortable. it could be an upset stomach, or a more urgent illness like stomach bloat or a cardiac event. I'm really sorry. Just get him to the vet as soon as you can is about all you can do.

If you know how to gently palpate the stomach, you could check to see if it's bloated. It feels like an inflated balloon just up under the ribs. If it is bloated, I've done gas meds and had it work. But you don't want to give any more than that as anything syringed in will increase the pressure in the stomach when it's bloat.

For a possible heart issue, as a last ditch effort if you feel you need to do something before you can get to the vet, in people with a sudden cardiac issue, baby aspirin is given as an immediate temporary measure, as it thins the blood so there is less strain on the heart to work. Those are the only things I can think of that could be tried.

Poor Lümi! Praying he gets better and you can get him to the vet very soon!

Oh no so sorry for your loss.
Hugs.
Just know that you gave him all the love and the best care.
And all the love he gave you.

I'm so sorry to hear about Lümi! You loved him so much and gave him such a loving home. While your time was not nearly long enough, I'm certain Lümi enjoyed every second he had with you. Rest in peace little hopper

Back