odd looking poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
Cordy's poop looks different. Normally it would be pellet like but now it's long and looks like human poo but smaller. It's got texture to it and is not soft but not hard. Any ideas on what is causing it and if it's a bad thing??

Okay so i read up on it and this is what it looks like and it's definition.

A normal CECOTROPE resembles a dark brown mulberry, or tightly bunched grapes. It is composed of small, soft, shiny pellets, each coated with a layer of rubbery mucus, and pressed into an elongate mass. The cecotrope has a rather pungent odor, as it contains a large mass of beneficial cecal bacteria. When the bunny ingests the cecotrope, the mucus coat protects the bacteria as they pass through the stomach, then re-establish in the cecotrope.

is this good??What doI do to get her back to normal poo?

So the odd shapped poo is a cecotroph?

If so, then she's just producing some extra ones, or decided she didn't want to eat that one.

Rabbits will always produce both, but we normally don't see the cecotrophs as the rabbits eat them as they come out.

Are there lots of cecotrophs? Or just one? Lots I may worry about, but one or two shouldn't really be a problem.

--Dawn

Mine get excess cecals when they get too many treats or eat too many pellets (and sometimes as a reaction to stress or territorial issues). It's best to put them on hay on water for a day or two until it's normal again.

sas

When Mocha was a baby, she'd usually leave one or two cecals in her litterbox a day. I also saw her eating them, so I knew she wasn't leaving them all. This lasted until she was older and I switched her to timothy pellets. If she's only leaving one or two and they're healthy-looking and not runny, it's probably okay to continue feeding her as you are. If she's leaving a lot or they're runny or too mushy to hold much shape then it's best to cut back pellets but especially treats and veggies.

:yeahthat

Didn't realize Cordy was a baby, sorry. (I've been out to lunch). You shouldn't cut back on pellets, just treats, but still enourage her to eat hay.

And keep an eye on it in case it's true diarrhea, if it gets mucusy, or if it gets worse.

She's adorable!

sas

Well it scared me when I first saw it because it looked like a tiny black coiled worm but after closer examination I saw it was poop. She had about six of them in her crate. I will cut back on the pellets and give more hay. I wonder if it was because it was her first night in her new crate where she could see out all the sides (she's spent the past two nights in a extra large cat carrier where you could only see out two sides of it. I bought her some chew toys, a litter box, and a flippy toy and gave the chew toys and another flippy toy to miffy to. I just want her to be healthy. It's been so long since I had a baby bun. I don't remember miffy having those kind of poo's at all.

Thanks everyone for the reassurence.

Latest posts

Back