Odd behavior today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad my little furry friend is all better! Tell that girl no more getting sick :p

Burritoing is wrapping your bun like a burrito in a towel to make handing easier, good if you're giving medication.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! They gave you an antibiotic that you probably don't even really need, and they didn't give you the two meds that you do need? A rabbit not eating much and has a slow gut needs a gut stimulant. And pain meds are essential in helping get a rabbit eating again on its own. A rabbit in pain(from it's stomach or teeth) isn't going to want to eat. Ugh, VETS!!!

^ I pretty much had the same reaction... if your regular vet works at the same clinic as the vet you saw who gave the antibiotics, I would definitely bring it up the next time you see them. Antibiotics can actually *cause* GI problems (including stasis) - that's why it's recommended to always give probiotics with them. Unless there's a specific reason to believe an infection is involved, a broad-spectrum antibiotic is one of the worst things you can give for stasis (and even then, I would think metacam and metoclopramide would also be given).

Also, this has been so eye opening for me! I know now that I need to put the dog food up high and the cat food too. So this weekend, I'm going to get something to put those bowls on. It might not totally stop Ellie from getting to them, but it will hinder her enough that maybe she'll lose interest.

I recently found out that they actually make food bowls that only open for specific pets o_O... and it's possible to make one yourself, though I haven't gotten around to figuring out if that's really all that much cheaper:
http://www.instructables.com/id/RFID-pet-feeder/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Distinguishing-Pet-Bowl/

Just food for thought... personally, I went the cheapest (as in free) route and simply made the bunns start living in a pen again - even if I could keep them out of the cat food, Nala and Gaz loved to pee on ALL the cats things. WTF is it about cat food, anyway? I've got three bunns and every freaking one of them wants to eat that cat food no matter how often I remind them that they're supposed to be vegans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it has to do with the filler and sugar that is in the cat food and dog food. Admittedly, I don't feed the best cat food..Purina Cat Chow, but the dog food is like middle of the road. But she goes for dog food more than cat food now.

I stopped giving her the antibiotics. Once she was eating on her own, I stopped giving them and stopped force feeding her. I still gave her some simethicone once she did start eating on her own, but stopped everything else. I'll tell the rabbit vet when I go see him about her teeth, about the antibiotic and see what he says.
I remembered, that antibiotics are really harsh on tummies for ALL things taking them, so I wasn't super comfortable giving them. I only gave her 2 doses of 3/4 cc then stopped. And I'm pretty like, anti antibiotic as it is, so I was way uncomfortable giving them to my animal. LOL

But thankfully, she started and kept on eating on her own! I'm so happy with her, I've lessened her pellets a bit and shes getting even more hay. Hopefully she'll stay well. I need to start feeding her more greens, I've been slacking and its shameful!

Crap on a cracker! I forgot to get something to put the dog food bowls on! We're doing a 31 day fiscal fast right now, so I can't buy anything for it. Maybe, just maybe, I have something in the barn or shed to use...hmm.

Thank you guys again, for all your help! I'm going to take her really soon, after the fast is over, to get her teeth checked out.

Latest posts

Back