Oats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
I feel so stupid asking this :baghead

I've seen lots of you feed your buns oats... Now mine, have never even seen an oat. I would love to offer them some but I remember someone saying not to feed a certain type, but to feed this type. Oh, I remember that the container is supposed to be great fun for them to play with... Ok, I don't know what I am supposed to buy :bagheadSomeone help please?

Also, since I would buy some, are there any good recipes (easy enough) that I can make for myself as well? I have never really seen them being used though I am sure I probably ate some at some point.

Plain rolled oats, not flavoured or anything. When I was searching for this on the forum, I came across a post where someone had said Quaker oats were good.

Yep plain rolled oats are good, they are a favorite here for everyone, including the PD's. Everybun likes them, and that's saying an awful lot!

I buy mine in bulk from the feed store because almost all of our animals eat them in their feed, so I buy big bags, which like won't work for you! From the grocery store I think Quaker are good, I would assume any rolled oat would do as long as they don't have anything added to them.

As for recipes for you - my favorite is cookies! :)

Okies... Quaker oats, plain rolled, ok i think I can find that :pAnyone have a pic of what to look for? I don't remember seeing one. I didn't think of doing a search though so maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and help myself out here :p

I used to have some oats, the quaker oats is what I had. The plain kind. I need to get some more...I never gave them to my bunnies, cuz I ended up making cookies out of them instead (Don't worry, the oats were inside ;)). So I need to get some more, hehe. I'm sure my bunnies would love oats too though :)

Emily

I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats for my guinea pigs and rabbits. Then I give one of them the empty container to play with after removing the lid and the bottom.

I give a teaspoon of Quaker old fashioned oats daily to get the buns back in their cages at night. They go at it like it's a drug. I just wanted to add that Billy was having some problems with gas and soft poops when I gave him too many oats, so I had to cut it down to only 1 measured teaspoon a day. Other bunnies might not have this problem...Billy has a sensitive digestive system.

MsBinky wrote:
Okies... Quaker oats, plain rolled, ok i think I can find that :pAnyone have a pic of what to look for? I don't remember seeing one. I didn't think of doing a search though so maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and help myself out here :p
thumbnail.aspx

I use the Walmart generic version all the time - its in the aisle right next to the Quaker Oats.....

Don't get the quick oats - get the old fashioned ones. Like you use for making oatmeal or oatmeal cookies.

Don't overdo it. I give mine a tiny pinch one time a day unless they get something else for breakfast and then they don't get any.

Yes, they are like a drug.... similar to banana, craisens and papaya.
MsBinky wrote:

Thank you everyone! Sorry I didn't post here sooner... Thank you for the pic as well ;)I did a search but found mostly posts about when and how much.

I hope my buns will like them! I am extremely harsh with the treats. My bunnies would tell you how mistreated they are because they don't get nearly as many treats as yours. Hihihi.

They can all do with a little extra weight though. I had been cutting back on pellets and giving them more hay but they dropped in weight :?They have been eating all their hay and veggies so I'm wondering why it happened. Bah, will get them toned again :)

Latest posts

Back