Oats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyjade

Reaction score
Since I bought a container of Quaker Oats tomake bunny cookies, oats have been my bunnies' new favorite treat. Myquestion is, how much can I give them? I'm not sure of theirnutritional value in regards to a bunny's needsbut can I feedthem a small amount every day, or should it just be an occasionalthing? This is in additon to a half cup of oxbow timothy pelletsbetween them,the occasional carrot or fruit treat, a few cups of greensadayand mix of unlimited hays. The bunnies are botharound 3.5 lbs.

-Kelly

My bunnies just get them on occasion, but,correct me if I'm wrong, I believe up to a teaspoon full a day each isokay.

My buns get oats on a daily basis. I put 1/2teaspoon in with their pellets, except for Tootsie. Tootsie weighs 10lbs and gets 1 teaspoon. The rest of my buns weigh 4 to 6 lbs.

`jim

Hi I know I read what type of oats to give, is it the regular oats or can you give the instant ones or does it matter.

Thanks

Susan:apollo:

Theregular rolled oats are recommended.

There's some controversy about using the instant ones.Theclaim isthat they will clump/expand too fast andcause a blockage.

I once mistakenly purchased a small container of instant oats and wentthrough most of it before I noticed. None of my buns were any the worsefor it. :dunno:

I feed Raph oats daily; depending upon what Ihave on hand, he gets either the old-fashioned rolled oats (at least atablespoon, sometimes two...he has a voracious appetite and never gainsmuch weight), or he gets oat groats - that's oats which haven't beenprocessed and are still in the hull. He would tear through barbed wireto get at them, he loves them so much! And I would feed them to myrabbits over rolled oats, but I tend to run out before I have a chanceto get to the natural food store to replenish.

Anna gets oats as well, but I have to ration hers to maybe half atblsp, and she doesn't get them every day, as she gains weight veryeasily. She has a huge appetite as well, but her favorite food seems tobe hay...I have to refill her hay rack every day, whereas Raph hasalways been just a nibbler with his.

I believe oats are great for bunnies, so long as not too much is givenif the rabbit is prone to gaining weight easily, and so long as theyare notforegoing some of their pellets and filling up on oats.

Thanks everyone! my girls think oats are thebest thing ever. I like to put some in a treat ball, or sprinkle someon top of a basket of hay and make a game out of it, plus, they end upeating a lot more hay than they normally would trying to get to theoats. ;)

I feed oats as a treat maybe 1-2 times a week. Mocha would seriously sell her soul to get the smallest taste!

They can be good for bunnies but they do have a lot of carbs so too much can upset their stomachs.

Back