Oatmeal? what kind?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of oatmeal you can give a bunny? And isit given as a treat? Cooked or uncooked? I just seen a pic of a rabbit eating oatmeal and I was wondering. I'm thinking of trying it. Thanks.

Here's a picture of the oats we give our babies:

100_1538.jpg

Uncooked. You can just sprinkle it on top of their food. Be careful, though, as they can put on weight pretty quickly with it. In fact, I really only give it maybe once a month to my babies, and daily to my girl that needs to gain weight. :)

Personally, I would not feed at all, except for possibly as a very special treat and in very small quantities (a tiny pinch, raw). Oatmeal is pretty carb rich. Too much may cause soft stool or weight gain.

From: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=686 - Nutrition in Small Mammals by Dr Susan Brown, DVM

"Cereal grains and cereal products can cause digestive upsets due to their high starch content, are high in calories and in general should not be used for the house rabbit. These foods include: bread, cookies, crackers, rolled oats, breakfast cereals and other grain products. Although many people feed these treat foods because their rabbits love them (like candy!) if they are fed in too large an amount, they can create obesity and chronic soft stools."

Oats will not cause soft stools. I know of many people who use them to treat diarreah (that and a good grass hay) when they have babies go off food or whatever.

Actually, I used to feed oats to my first rabbit and he did have a chronic problem with soft stool. It's a personal choice, but I would not feed. There are so many other, more appropriate treat foods that can be fed. Hay, and lots of hay, is the best food for helping to clear up a soft stool (excess cecal) problem.

The article referenced below by Dr Susan Brown provides an excellent explanation of soft stool in rabbits, treatment and causes.

From http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=670
Intermittent Soft Stool in Rabbits by Dr Susan Brown, DVM:

FORBIDDEN FOODS[/b]
Never again feed any commercial rabbit pellets, commercial rabbit treats or high carbohydrate snacks which include those found in the following list: Beans (of any kind) Peas Corn Breads Cereals Nuts Seeds Oats Wheat
Chocolate Refined sugar Any other grains

Ok- I've been seeing too many places on here where "commercial rabbit pellets" are "FORBIDDEN"- they are obviously made for a reason.

I also feed mine a mixture as a sort of top dressing for show and breeding- the mixdoes/may containrolled oats,rolled barley, calf manna, sunflower seed.. givenevery other day atless than 1 tablespoon.

DyemondRabbitry wrote:
Ok- I've been seeing too many places on here where "commercial rabbit pellets" are "FORBIDDEN"- they are obviously made for a reason.

I also feed mine a mixture as a sort of top dressing for show and breeding- the mixdoes/may containrolled oats,rolled barley, calf manna, sunflower seed.. givenevery other day atless than 1 tablespoon.

I agree with you that pellets are made for a reason. I think that it would be very difficult to ensure a balanced diet and not feed any pellets at all. I believe that the article places commercial rabbit pellets that contain the items in the following list Beans (of any kind), Peas, Corn, Breads, Cereals, Nuts, Seeds, Oats...on the forbidden list, not pellets in general.

I'm thinking that's what they mean too- I just hate it when somebody wants to do the best for their bun and they take things litteraly. What would be a better way to say that? Maybe pellets at a minimum with a substitute of veggies and hay? Or is it possibly aimed more at those "junk" feeds you see in the pet stores with all the sweets, whole kernel corn and seeds in it?

DyemondRabbitry wrote:
I'm thinking that's what they mean too- I just hate it when somebody wants to do the best for their bun and they take things litteraly. What would be a better way to say that? Maybe pellets at a minimum with a substitute of veggies and hay? Or is it possibly aimed more at those "junk" feeds you see in the pet stores with all the sweets, whole kernel corn and seeds in it?
I know! I've actually had new rabbit owners ask me how MANY (as in number) of pellets they should feed their rabbits each day. :?

Yes, I think this reference is referring to the junk pellets that you see in some of the pet stores. I agree, the wording of the pellet part is a bit confusing, but the author is pretty clear as to what she considers to be forbidden foods.

Again, personal choice. I just wanted to reference a reputable source (Dr Susan Brown is a very well known, well respected rabbit savvy vet) that recommends that oats and other high carb foods not be fed. There is no one, perfect diet that is right for all rabbits. It is up to everyone to do a lot of reading, be informed and find a diet works best for their rabbits.

In just adding my two cents...

I've had buns that were totally fine with whatever veggies and/or treats (I'm VERY picky about what constitutes a treat...only things like Craisins or oats, and in very small amounts)...and then I've had buns that could ONLY eat their pellet food and hay (and even then, more hay than anything), or they would have excess cecals. Cuddles was one of these types (she was a mini-rex). Maisie is also sensitive to various things...mostly things containing alfalfa.

So, yeah, it's just something to be careful with. As it is with anything concerning buns and a change in diet...go slowly and watch for fecal changes. That's always been my policy. :)

That's what it seems like to me anyhow. Ours just get that mix, lots of hay, and pellets and it works wonderfully for them. I've given them veggies and things before but they'd much rather have the hay... so just go with what works for your buns

any variances from the norm is going to bring out the best in people,,everyone likes to feed animals,dyemond rabbitry-(above)-has hit the nail on the head,,it would appear more controversial as to what to feed a rabbit,??.my rabbits get a hay bin,and poop box with orchard grass,which they prefer over timothy grass,..and one ounce per pound of rabbit(purina rabbit pellets),ie 6# rabbit=5/6 ounces pellets-daily/-a diet of 70% fiber and 20%nutritian and 10% fresh dandylions,clovers,grasses,etc,..branches of fruit trees-to knaw on,-salt licks(iodized)-fresh water in bowl and bottle,and of course this diet can be adjusted depending on the poops,..what could be easier/healthier ,.sincerely james waller [email protected]

Latest posts

Back