Oatmeal as a treat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Reaction score
I've been giving the gang plain quaker oatsoatmeal lately as a snack. I thought I read that it was a safe treat.My fiance questioned my choice in treats, because they love it so muchit's hard to believe it's safe. I thought I read that it was a goodtreat to give here, but now I can't find the post :X. Can someone helpme out.

Thanks

Hi Sarah,I have been givingoats to my rabbits for the last 2 years. I used to buy rolledoats at the feed store until I found out from one of the breedersonthe old rabbit forum that you could buy the oldfashioned oats at the grocery store. I also buy the storebrand. The rabbits still love it and it costs less than atthe feed store. There is not much that my buns do not eatwell. They are such porkers! :D Beckie

Sarah, as far as I know, it is safe. In moderationthat is, of course. It gives added weight for the underweight rabbitalso. Good idea to check and make sure first!

Laura, Moch, & Spice

I'm only guessing, I give it to my rabbits up totwice a week giving them about a tablespoon, I think. I don'tmeasure,I go by what looks right. Maybe someone can adviseyou better. But yes, you can just pour it into the bowl, or let themeat out of your hand.

Laura, Moch, & Spice

Yeah, a Tablespoon is about right! Mine love it.

If you want to avoid gettin' bit--don't let 'em eat from your hand, though....lol

Rose

lol, my bunnies, though enthusiastic, generallydon't bite when I feed them unless I have something like raspberryjuice on them. Mocha may bite for attention or more treats, but he'sgentle while eating. It depends on the rabbit in the sense.

Laura, Moch, & Spice

Sherman gets about a tablespoon and I lethim eat them right from my hand. I use the regular QuakerOats oatmeal from the grocery store.

He goes crazy when I give them to him! :D

I have never had a problem with feeding any typeof Oats to my rabbits. Oats tend to put on flesh not fat. They are anexcellent first feed for weanling kits that are changing over fromMothers milk to solid foods. I mix Oats with my feed along with Blackoil sunflowers seeds at times. So long as the Pelleted feed is themajority of the mix. I use a few cups of Oats to a five gallon bucketof Pelleted rabbit feed. Of course as was earlier stated, everything inmoderation. A close eye and hands on will inform one whether theadditives are a benefit or detrimental. :p

Dennis,C.V.R.:D

I tried to give my guy oats and he ate one and then would not touch them again. Apparently he doesn't like them.

Wabbitwuv

My get oats every night. I used to buythe old fashioned oats in the store, but with 40 buns, the 50lb bagfrom the feed store goes a lot farther for a lot less money.I found that if I gave it with the pellets, they dig out the pellets tofind the oats, so now the routine is pellets in the morning, oats inthe evening. In the wither I add the black oil sunflowerseeds with the oats. I don't measure, just give each a bit,the mrs get a little more than the polish. Donna

Oreo goes nuts over oatmeal too! I didn't know she would eat it.

One day when I had her out to play I was sitting on the floor eatingone of those quaker oats oatmeal bars.. and usually when I am eatingsomething she will come over & sniff and then walk away notinterested.. she came charging over at me as soon as I opened thewrapper, I let her sniff it thinking she'd just sniff.. well she took achunk of the corner & went off running lol! :D

~pam

I've taken your advice and tried to only give mydemanding little pig bunnies a bit of oatmeal at a time. Suddenly,they're addicted. I usually just give them pelletts as a treat--they'rediet is mainly hay and fresh veggies--and they turn their nose up atthe pellets. They'll put up with the pellet snack if there's somedelicious oatmeal with it, but otherwise, i can forget it. They're toofunny. At least oatmeal is an inexpensive treat.

If the addiction goes much further we may have an intervention. Sitthese little guys down and talk to them about their oatmeal dependency.

I buy oats in the 50 pound bag and break it downinto individual plastic bags of about 10lbs each and freezethe lot. I periodically dispense enough oats out of one suchbag to fill a plastic "oats jar" I use for the buns. When allthe 10 lbs bags are empty, I buy afresh and start the process overagain. In that manner, the 50 pound bags last the better partof a year for our buns and I affect a major cost savings.

Buck

Latest posts

Back