oat grass

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthempigs

Reaction score
Anybody grow oat grass for their bunnies?

Someone gifted me a flower pot with home grown oat grass and it was such a hit (with one of my cats)I want to grow my own. I'm just not sure what type of seeds to get? Is it regular grass seed that you can buy at a home and garden store? Or can I use oats that you would feed to a horse?

We usually just buy our seeds for oat grass at the petstore. They have the kits...although I have seen the seeds themselves sold at garden centers or nurseries!

Danielle

Thank you, I have too many critters to buy the kits. I was thinking it would be a lot cheaper to just buy seeds and replant in the flower pot. If I get a few more pots I can get a few going at the same time.

If you feed whole oat grains to the horses, yes, you could probably use those for growing oat grass.
I have grown it from whole oats from the whole-food store.
You can also grow wheat grass from the "wheat berries" (the whole grains).

I would think that if the oats had been processed, they wouldn't be able to sprout anymore, not that I've actually tried.

I've gotten oat, rye, and wheat grass seeds at Whole Foods in the bulk section and grown them all in pots for my bunnies. They call them oat berries, or groats maybe? I don't remember what they were called.

missyscove wrote:
I would think that if the oats had been processed, they wouldn't be able to sprout anymore, not that I've actually tried.

Opps, I didn't even think about that :p

Thanks for the tips :)

Back