O/T Wild Duck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*nepo*

Reaction score
There is a duck that comesto my house for food :pand he comes at 9:00AM and5:00 PM. Helooks kind of abused,I think he has abroken wing :(. He livesat a nearby canal. I'll try to takepictures to post them. Well does anyone know what I could buy for himto eat? I have given him bread, corn, rice, and bird food. He alsolikes grass. Hereare picture of ducks that have a similarbeak to the duck that comes to my house:?

[url=http://images.google.com/images?q=tbnwA99IX9MWwJ:]

those are Woodducks.. very cool! i used to raise Mallards

the last one is a Farm Duck that never leavs its home

yeah its sad! i love ducks! i remember when i wasyounger i would look through their nose because you could see to theother side! lmao and being a blonde that amused me! lmao

go to a farm or mill and pick up duck food. itsalso known as poultry food.You can get it like in a fiftypound bag. Offer a dish of water next to it and the ducks will use thatto keep their pallets wet while they eat. In ohter words they willscope up a mouth full of duck food and then stick their bills in thewater and grind it there. They are kind of messy eaters. Also earthworms, feeder fish, and super worms, Oh and ghost shrimp. All availableat your pet store. The feeder fish can be things like rosy gold fish orfeeder gold fish and the ghost shrimp is little shrimp. You can putthem in a dish and offer them and usauly when a wild duck sees themthey get tempted enough to eat them.

I use to have mallards. They were cool. My brother and I would callthem and they would come running and we would let them in the housewhile my parents at work. It was alot of fun... well up untill one ofus got the bright idea to take a picture and well.. once the film wasdeveloped my mom and dad figured out why the ducks would keep coming tothe door and knocking on the class when it would rain, or anything.Beleive it or not they HATED the rain. LOL. I got the pictures aroundhere somewhere.

Opps edit* I meant farm store* not a farm lol the farmer might get a little mad if you do that lol. by mill i mean feed mill.

OH also you will want to make sure that you arenot causing the duck to become dependent on you too much. For exampleif you do feed him they could always expect it and then when you stopthen they could start to starve. So maybe only offer food only to theinjured one. Also you want to make sure that you are not attracting theduck to a danager zone for example where a dog could get it, or hewould have to cross a road ect. We lost a couple ducks through the earsto eagles, dogs, bob cats, coyotees, and also to the road. Somebodyactauly swarved to hit one of our ducks one time. It was hard to seethat.

My OH's friend Tom had a duck, it was one ofthose big white ones! Dan always comments on the way theywalk, *thump, slap, thump, slap*he thinks it'shilarious!

I want a duck! I'll get Tom to send me a photo, if he's got time!

Ang xx

showrabbits wrote:
OH also you will want to make sure that you are not causingthe duck to become dependent on you too much. For example if you dofeed him they could always expect it and then when you stop then theycould start to starve. So maybe only offer food only to the injuredone. Also you want to make sure that you are not attracting the duck toa danager zone for example where a dog could get it, or he would haveto cross a road ect. We lost a couple ducks through the ears to eagles,dogs, bob cats, coyotees, and also to the road. Somebody actaulyswarved to hit one of our ducks one time. It was hard to see that.
I give him grass too, so he can eat that by himself. Since heleaves at the back of my house, I don't think he'll cross the road.

Thanks everyone:).My mom says we can't buy the duck food for economic reasons. Doesany one know what 'normal people' food the duckcan eat?

I'm not really sure ifhe does have abroken wing, I can see bone kind of cut, but maybe it's nothingbad.

He really trusts us, but he gets scared when wecome to close. He even goes to the garage :pand he left amess there once. My mom said he made noise to let us know he wasthere.

I think he might also got to someone else's housebecause I don't always see him at the canal. I think there is fish inthe canal so maybe he can eat those too. :)

They like crackers, stale bread etc. Their main diet would be algea and moss in the water.
If the wing is broke it shold be able to still eat, but if the algeaand moss is far enough down they cannot get to it because of the badwing.
ed

They like big worms :) You could dig some of those up for him :)

I love ducks *waddle, waddle, waddle*..... they are so funny!

The kids' school has a couple of big ponds and we always watch thefrogs, geese and ducks....... it's so funny when the ducks stick theirheads in the water to find food and their butts are in the air :)

Back