O/T What to do with a lost homing pigeon?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
Today we found a homing pigeon in our backyard. It doesn't appear injured, but it has been wandering around in our yard for several hours. It's also very friendly.

A website I found suggests giving it water (which I just did) and food and putting it in something dog and cat proof for 24-48 hours. After resting for this amount of time, they can apparently find their way home.

If that doesn't work, the band number can be used to find the owner.

Has anyone ever dealt with this? I'm almost hesitant to cage it, but on the other hand I don't want the neigborhood cats to attack it.

By the way, here's the site I found:

http://www.ifpigeon.com/IF/if_care_lost_birds.html

I have't got a clue, but what you said sound a good idea!:)

The bird should be used to being caged, maybe it just needs a rest then can fly back home.

Are his wings ok?

I'm not sure how things work over there but my Grandma used to rescue lost homing pigeons as some owners would kill them if theywere returned.:?Of course that was a while ago. I'd probably put him or her in a big box for now with water and pigeon corn and see howit does. You could always give the owners a call to see what they say? Good luck.:)

Latest posts

Back