o/t ticks on a dog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
My dog has a nasty raised scab by her ear...wewent camping a few weeks ago...what are the signs of a tick? the areais crusted over and black how do you remove a tick if it is in herskin? Any ideas would be great! Thanks

Ticks are normally attached to the site they arefeeding from'they look like little greyish lumps or can be red if havejust fed.You have to pull a tick off completely as they stick into theskin if not completely removed a nasty infection can occur:)

When removing a tick it can be really easy topull their heads off leaving their mouthparts still in the dog whichmay result in an abcess. I either smother them in Petroleum jelly sothey can't breathe and then they fall off OR smother them with amethylated spirit soaked pad which will make them let go. I also knowof people holding a lit cigarette to there bodies. Obviously dont usemore than one method or your dog will go WOOF!!!! haha and be on fire.

You can get special tweezers but I have never used them

pinkyp wrote:
When removing a tick it can be really easy to pull theirheads off leaving their mouthparts still in the dog which may result inan abcess. I either smother them in Petroleum jelly so they can'tbreathe and then they fall off
This is a really good method, and quite "yuck" free :p - Jan

Please dont use a hot heedle or tweezers....whenremoving a tick you want to "shock" it as least as possible b/c if notit expells a much greater amount of its contents into the host andincreases the risk of infection. the petroleum jelly sounds like thebest bet..or one the techs at your vet can prolly take it off for cheapand much more thourough ;)

[align=center]If the tick is a regular dogtick... then it is fine to just pull it... as long as you try and get ahold of the tick as close to the skin as possible. I havebetween three and four dogs at my house at one time that all play inthe grasses, creeks, neighbors cow pastures, etc and come into thehouse covered in ticks... Just this summer.. i have probably pulledaround 300 ticks and i am yet to leave a head attached to my dogs... Ifyou do pull it... make sure that there is a small amount of "scalp"attached to the ticks mouth... This doesn't hurt the dog... As far asthe petroleum jelly, etc methods... I'm sure they work.. but if youhave an outdoor dog, plan on giving him/her a bath or atleastspotbathing the dog... as if you turn the dog loose, it will be coveredin mud, as the dog WILL roll and WILL get covered in dirt... as far asthe hot needle trick... it is best done if you just move the tip closeto the point of attachment.., and everynow and then they will just diestill attached to the dog... yes, even after they are dead... so youstill have to pull the tick... Same way with smothering it in anythingor using a cigarette... Honestly, as long as you're careful and makesure once you pull there is the small patch of scalp... pulling ticksis the easiest.... It is a whole different story if you have deerticks... Those small little beasties are harder than heck to pull anddo like leaving their heads in... Also, they are the ones that carryLymes disease and lots of other horsey ailments... Hope thishelps![/align]
[align=center]~*Chia*Pet*n*Reeses*~[/align]

Back