O/T Rat help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheetos mom

Reaction score
I have an 8 mth old domestic rat. Her coat hasno sheen, she's lethargic, she has a slight discharge from her eyes andnose, diaherra (sp?).

I just got back from grabbing her some Tetracycline, but cannot figureout the best way to dispense this to her. I swore I had a bunch ofsyringes from my sons medication, but nothing... Can anyone think of abetter make shift dispenser?

I also wanna get the meds into her asap, but I am fearful of stressing her further.

Any thoughts?

Do rabbits get mycoplasma? From reading a ratsite's Faqs, I suspect that this is what she has... but, I don't knowif this is contagious (I have another rat and my bunny...)

I've never heard of it before. I did a googlesearch and found a bunch of sites on lab experiments, yuck! It lookslike rabbits can be affected by some species of mycoplasma, but I don'tknow if it would be the same species affecting your rat or if thisoccurs outside a lab setting. Playing it save never hurts, though.

It sounds like it could possibly be an upperrespiratory infection. A trip to the vet would be the bestway to determine this and to get some good medication. I'massuming you got the fish medication tetracycline. Most petstores are really quick to recommend this to anyone with a sickanything. I've certainly used it in a pinch and recommendedit to people in a bind, but the vet can give you something stronger andmore geared to what's wrong with the rat. Tetracycline is agood broad spectrum antibiotic, but it has been so widely used, a lotof things are resistant to it.

All of that said, when I've given tetracycline, I have put it in thewater bottle. I open the capsule and put about 1/2 of it to 8ounces of water. Change the water after about 8hours. If he/she isn't drinking you may need to syringe itinto him, using the same ratio. You should be able to get asyringe from your pet store. If they have animals, theyshould have plenty around.

Jen

Thanks Jen!

Moxley seems to be doing a wee bit better. She's eating and drinking. Iput the Tetracycline in her water bottle with a bit of diluted applejuice.

I may just have to run her to the vet this evening - Funds are reallimited because I haven't worked in three months, but I don't want toallow her to pass without a fight!

Another thing you can try that has worked well for me is Infants Tylenol. It was recommenced by my vet.
It has to be infants asprin-free tylenol. Give her .2cc's twicea day for 2 days and then once a day for 2 days more. My girls willtake it on their own from the syringe since it is flavored but somerats will not. If yours will not take it try mixing it with a verysmall amount of yogurt and get her to eat it all.
This should help her. Also, make sure she is still eating and drinkingwell. Do a complete bedding change as the smell can upset the conditionmore. Make sure she is seperated from your other rats.
I hope this helps. Keep us updated.

And please, this is not by any means me telling you to not take her tothe vet. If you can take her please do. This is just an at homesolution that was recommended by my vet if a rat cannot be brought in.

Oh, and if you have it - give her someNutrical. It will help stimulate her appetite and give hersome energy. I give Pixie (my 1+yr rat) some every other dayand it has really helped with her energy and nutrition levels.

Keep us updated on how she does.

Jenniblu wrote:
Oh, and if you have it - give her some Nutrical.It will help stimulate her appetite and give her some energy.I give Pixie (my 1+yr rat) some every other day and it has reallyhelped with her energy and nutrition levels.

Keep us updated on how she does.
That's just what I was going to say.

Jen

well, I took Moxley to the vet when I got homefrom work. He said that it was pneumonia and that her chances were50/50. He gave her some steroids and some antibiotics in a syringe andthen gave me some antibiotics to take home.

He told me to place her in a warm, quiet room and give her lots of TLC.

We got stuck in traffic on the way home and she escaped into my truck.

After arriving home and having to rummage thru my truck to find her,she finally peeked out and came to me. i bungled her up and in a clothdiaper and we went into the house.

I placed her in her cage and proceeded to carry it into our bedroom forsome peace. I rubbed her little face, she flopped over and that was it!

I'll tell you despite the expense ($130.00) the trip to the vet waswell worth it. I feel alot better cause I know that I did all that Icould, I was just too late.

i can't believe that she waited til she got home. That makes me feel better somehow...

Thank you all for the advice....

I'm so sorry :( Iknow its hard to makethese decisions when we have to takemoney into consideration -- you did the best you could and got herstarted right on theTetracycline.You areobviously a veryattentive pet owner who loves her littlecreatures.

Pam

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your littlebaby. Unfortunately pneumonia is a tough one. Youdid everything you could do for her.

Jen

Thanks all of you...

Like I told Kricket. There's an old indian legend that states that whenyou help an animal and when you yourself die, you'll be bestowed withthat animal's talents...

I'll eventually be a stealth and sneaky thief! (Both of my rats like to horde and steal things!)

I'm so sorry to hear it, but its always so niceto hear owner's doing something about a sick animal instead of justletting it die because it only costed five dollars or something.

I'm so sorry to hear abouther. I think she wanted to die at homeonly aftershe knew you were okay with losing her. Pets give us somuch:heart:.

Cheetos mom wrote:
Thanks all of you...

Like I told Kricket. There's an old indian legend that states thatwhen you help an animal and when you yourself die, you'll be bestowedwith that animal's talents...

I'll eventually be a stealth and sneaky thief! (Both of my rats like to horde and steal things!)
I guess I'll be able to lick my num-nums and howl at ambulances (dog).

Lemme preface this by stating that I have a very "off color" way of handling disturbing situations.

I cried alot tonight because of my loss but there are two things thatoffer me comfort 1) Moxley didn't pass in my truck and 2) she feltcomfortable enuff to let go when she got "home" My first comfortreminds me of a story:

I have been in the auto industry for about 8-9 years now, so I hear it all....

I had a customer that spent roughly $40k on a brand new vehicle. It washis pride and joy. He decided to buy his young son a hamster as abirthday present. Well. Mr. Customer took home the hamster from the petstore in a box very much like a Chinese food container.

He drove around the Valley in his new SUV, with this critter in thebox, stopping to run a few errands. When he arrived home, he discoveredthe hamster had chewed her way through the box.

Mr. Customer could not find her anywhere in the vehicle. Two days laterand after some serious seaching to no avail, he turned on the muchneeded air conditioning (in Az you NEED it). It spit out cold air, butonly amidst a storm of insulation. He immediately turned off the airbecause of all the debris flying out. The little bugger stuck herlittle pink nose through the air vents!

The next day, his check engine lite came on. He took the SUV to thedealership, where they informed him that his electrical wiring had beengnawed at.

Daily for about two weeks, he would discover an array of damage to hisvehicle all caused by this little girl. And she'd always pop her headout to torment him right after he'd discover the damage.

It got to the point where the mechanics at the dealership would teasehim about his pleadings to help him remove the rodent from his vehicle.

Eventually and after more than $3000.00 worth of damage. Mr. Customer woke up to find this demon pet dead beside his vehicle.

Because of the tremendous cost incurred as a result of this maniacalcritter and the teasing he had endured...he had her stuffed and mountedin a grizzly bear attack position which he proudly displays at his deskat work.!

:laugh:

Cheetos mom wrote:
Because of the tremendous cost incurred as a result of thismaniacal critter and the teasing he had endured...he had her stuffedand mounted in a grizzly bear attack position which he proudly displaysat his desk at work.!

Jenniblu,

Thanks for the pic of your little one. She looks alot my Stella, my healthy and spoiled 2 year old critter.

Glad you enjoyed my psycho hamster story!

Oh your welcome. Do you have any picsof Stella? That is my only good pic of Pixie - she's 1yr oldand still bounces around like a youngin' lol. Wow 2yrs oldfor Stella - did she slow down her 2nd year any? Pixie likesto stash away food and shred toliet paper rolls and line her bed withthose. Hope my rat story makes you smile--

Last year when I first got Pixie, I put her in an guinea pig cage andwas amazed that she never tried to get out even though she could easilysqueeze through the bars. Everyday shewould besitting in her cage looking so sweet. After a few weeks Icouldn't find some of my bills and they were getting overdue.My kitchen sponge also went missing - then another.

Finally, after coming home from work early there was something in thewindow above the kitchen sink - a rat! Thinking fast, Igrabbed acontainer and prepred to catch and rehome it faraway. As I opened the sheer curtain, I realized the rat hadwhite feet and a white tip on it's tail - Pixie! She had beenescaping her cage during the night and going into the kitchen to builda nest then going back in the cage before I got home. In thecorner of the window were my shredded bills lining a nest with littlepieces of sponge on top - her home away from home.:p

Back