O/T My poor lil' guy...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
At night, after the bunnies are put back in theircage, the cat and kittens are put in my room for "safe-keeping" ;)Naturally, with two rabbits, five cats, and three litterboxes, thingsget a little stuffy if one does not prop a window open. So I make surethe bunnies have plenty of straw and the cats have warm and cozy spotsto snuggle in, and I burrow under some blankets. I failed to realizewhat effects this would have on my hamster :?

Forgetting that night time is his time to be active, and with thecooler weather now upon us, I put him into a sort of false-hibernation.In fact, nervous that I hadn't seen any signs of activity in the pastfew days, I checked on him this morning to confirm whether or not hewas even alive :shock: He was, of course, and peeved that I haddisturbed his slumber. So tonight, I gave him extra food and water, andcovered his cage with a thick towel to keep in some heat. Hibernationisn't really bad for hamsters, but it isn't really great either.

*sigh* Not easy being a domestic zookeeper...

Ohww my :Dso many little darlings tocare for, u must be very busy m.e! They are sweet aren't they.... allof them:p:D:);)can't wait to have more of my own!!!!!

OhYaye!!!! Someone that has hamsters. Today is my little girl's(Kaitlyn)birthday. I'm checking her out of school Thursday totake her birthday shopping and she's determined to go to the pet store.She's had her eye on a pair of dwarf hamsters. In her defense they'readorable. Thank God she's a very responsible 10 year old. I know shewill take excellent care of them.

Now for the questions. LOLIf you dont mind. Do you know how to sex a hamster? I dont want to endup with babies so I'd like to get two females.

Can you bond two females like you can bunnies?

Are female hamsters territorial?

What are the best types of feed and bedding for hamsters?

What kinds of treats are best for hamsters?

Are there any specialrulesI should know about hamsters?

What's the approximate life span of a hamster?

Any additional informationis greatly appreciated. I want Kaitlyn to really enjoy her hamsters. Ialso want the hamsters to have a long healthy life. Thanksbunches!!!

Lanna

lanna21974 wrote:
Oh Yaye!!!! Someonethat has hamsters. Today is my little girl's (Kaitlyn) birthday. I'mchecking her out of school Thursday to take her birthday shopping andshe's determined to go to the pet store. She's had her eye on a pair ofdwarf hamsters. In her defense they're adorable. Thank God she's a veryresponsible 10 year old. I know she will take excellent care of them.

Now for the questions. LOLIf you dont mind. Do you know how to sex a hamster? I dont want to endup with babies so I'd like to get two females.

I personally do not, but u8myhouse does. Perhaps, if she doesn't comeon, I can get her to send me the webpage she learned from :)

Can you bond two females like you can bunnies?

Dwarf hamsters, yes. They are social creatures. It's the Syrian (akaTeddy Bear, Golden) hamsters that are solitary. If you raise two femaledwarves together, you shouldn't have any problems.

Are female hamsters territorial?

No, they tend not to be. Again, it's the Syrian ones that will be moreaggressive about their territory, often fighting to the death 8O Butyou shouldn't have any problems with the lil' girls.

What are the best types of feed and bedding for hamsters?

Feed: you want to avoid anything overly colorful, just as you wouldwith rabbit feed. They need a good variety of seeds, and corn, andnuts, but make sure there are also pellets in there (to complete theirvitamin intake). The Hartz Original Recipe Hamster & Gerbil food,which you can get at any Wal-Mart, is the best I've found so far. Asfar as actually feeding them, I'd say forget the dish! It's a lot moreenvironmentally stimulating if you spread the food around so they haveto forage for it.

Bedding: There are a variety of bedding materials you could use.Shavings are very popular; if you haven't heard it yet, avoid cedarshavings. They can cause respiratory irritation and liver damage.The same goes for sawdust. Anything that smells strong to you, if goingto smell even stronger to them, so that's something to consider. Ipersonally use Yesterday's News as a base, with CareFresh (dried paperpulp) bedding on top of that. You could also use hay on top. You wantto have some sort of bottom layer that will absorb the urine (newspaperis generally not good, especially if they ingest the ink). But you alsowant to have a top layer that'll be easier on their feet, like hay orthe CareFresh as I use. Plus, with a softer, lighter top layer, theycan burrow, something hamsters love to do.

What kinds of treats are best for hamsters?

Here's a good list of foods that hamster can/cannot eat: http://www.geocities.com/taffy3001/food_list.html

Are there any special rules I should know about hamsters?

Let's see....handling them often will make them friendlier in the longrun. Dwarves are especially good at being hand trained. But be sure topractive very careful handling or you'll end up with a hamster likemine. I rescued him from my 11 year old cousin, and he's still monthslater, somewhat traumatized.

All hamsters need a wheel to run on (in the wild, they'd roam as muchas 9 miles in a night!), but not all wheels are good for them. Avoidany metal or plastic wheels with spokes or wires. Very, very bad! Theycan get their legs or necks stuck, and end up with a broken limb,paralyzed, or even dead. :(

There are two good wheels out there. One is the Comfort Wheel, whichhas a solid running base and side. This picture, though, actuallydemonstrates something you want to avoid: a wheel so small the animalshave to arch their backs to run. Now, you shouldn't have this problem,seeing as you're getting dwarves, but just make sure it's large enough.

Giant_Comfort_Wheel.jpg

There's also the wheel I use, and can talk about to no end. The WodentWheel. I think it's the best one out there. Not only the solid runningbase and back, but also their ingenious front design, giving littletunnel burrowers the sensation of being enclosed. Most hamsters willlove their Wodent Wheels to the point of sleeping in them! :D

wodent2b.jpg

Here their website: http://www.transoniq.com/

What's the approximate life span of a hamster?

2-3 years, though with proper care, many have been known to livelonger. I may be wrong, but I think some dwarves have a longer lifespanthan other hamsters.

Any additional informationis greatly appreciated. I want Kaitlyn to really enjoy her hamsters. Ialso want the hamsters to have a long healthy life. Thanksbunches!!!
Lanna

No prob! :D

What else can I tell you....

Here's a breakdown of my hamster's habitat, after many hours researching what would be optimal for a more natural environment:

h903.jpg

(what the cage originally looked like)

I moved that shelf down to the lower level, and created an area on thebottom that he could have as more of a burrow. Half a milk jug is his"den", and a small PVC pipe is how he gets into said den. The flooringmaterial is Carefresh bedding on top of a layer of Yesterdays news. Healso has a small grass ball with holes in it for him to hide in. Hisfood is served forage-style, by spreading the seeds and pellets on thebedding. This is much more natural and provides some enrichment for himto work for his food (they need almost an 1/8 cup a day). OccasionallyI'll put a little hay in, and he lies to burrow and nest in that too.

The top level has newspaper cut to fit over the wire (his little toeskept going through). He has a sandbox - hamsters are desert creatures,and very much appreciate the opportunity for a sand bath. His is just asmall plastic dish with playsand. He also has a water dish, which isgenerally preferred to a bottle, as it is more natural to lap waterfrom a puddle, so to speak, than from a tube. Finally, he has hisWodent Wheel.

Here are some images of his cage (sorry, poor lighting)

dbd4b6a5.jpg

5d78dcc9.jpg

c438dc93.jpg

7275859e.jpg

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's loads ofinformation I'm forgetting. If you want, I can PM you some reallyinformative links :D

Thank God you caught the problem when you did.

-Carolyn

Yup :) This morning, I lifted the towel for apeek, and his wheel was repositioned (like the bunnies, he insists onredecorating), his sand box had obviously been used, and there was alittle pile of sunflower husks in the corner. :D:D:D *whew*

hehehehehe...that's very informative. And it's a great site for dwarf hamsters :)

Thanksto both you!! (m.e. and u8myhouse) Ya'll have been a greathelp. I'll make sure when she gets her homework done today that shereads some things on the care of hamsters. I'm going to read it too,but she'll be taking care of them so she'll need to know. I reallyappreciate both of you helping me with info on this. Thanks fom Kaitlyntoo. She's so excited. LOL

Lanna

P.S. Sorry for going offtopic. Good to knowyour hamsteris awake and runningaround.

Latest posts

Back