O/T Local sayings or proverbs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here it's a bit different. Here is what I mean.

Whatever you are doing drop the g-runnin, walkin, callin etc

Yappin-talkin on the phone

Goin to the house-goin home

No bigger than a popcorn fart- means really small

Step on a frog-pass gas

There's more I'll just have to think about it.

Tina

Taters-potatoes

Flappin his gums-talkin to someone

Hills-mountains

big thing for me

Taylor Ham!! some ppl have no idea what Taylor Ham but if you say PorkRoll they know....and then once you get a lil past Maryland it justdoesnt exist anymore :(

northerndancer wrote:
Here in the north of scotland we have a local wordfor:bunnydance: rabbit which is "map map" or "mappy".
We also have lots of sayings about the weather eg "not a day for a craw(crow) to be out without a blanket" really bizarre! meaning its too wetto go out!! And a great word "dreich" to describe that cold foggy dampweather when the wet just hangs in the air.
ND, my husband was inGourockfor five years (US Navy). He says stuff like:

do-me-no (when he doesn't know the answer to your question)

wee-uns (babies) That one is cute.

Look at that giant HEID! (head)

He misses Scotland. He's always trying to get stuff shippedfrom there like Aero bars and Irn Bru. He TRIES to makethings like potato scones, but usually fails!

Laura

Laura wrote:
ND,my husband was inGourockfor five years (USNavy). He says stuff like:

do-me-no (when he doesn't know the answer to your question)

wee-uns (babies) That one is cute.

Look at that giant HEID! (head)

He misses Scotland. He's always trying to get stuff shippedfrom there like Aero bars and Irn Bru. He TRIES to makethings like potato scones, but usually fails!

Laura
Hey Irn Bru is fab! he he. Glad your husband liked Scotland.

By the way, your rabbit on your atavar looks so cute. (My Flora is the same kind of markings only she is darker in the body)

ND

I'm from New York state and i can't think ofany, but if anyone else is from newyork and knows some it will probablyclick in and i'll be like oooh yeah!, all i have is internet slang:?

Well, I just love this post. Me I live only 30minutes from KY and Virgina, and I grew up in the holler ( between 2hills (mountionssome would say)
1. finer than frogs hair = your feeling great
2.whooping = spanking
3.slick as snot on the door knob
4. so ugly have to slip up onthe dipper you have to get a drink(draank) of water
5.like a fart in a whirl wind = hyper
6. wiggle worm in hot ashes
7.happier than a rooster in a 3 storie hen house
8. barking spiders = passing gas
9 nervious as a long tailed cat in aroom full of rocking chiars

I can't think of any more right know
Kim

Anyone from this forum from California too?? "The City" here is San Francisco, at least for northern Cal. Others..

Hella: really, a lot, extremely something

Sick: something really cool

Tight: (same as above)

I know theres more. I cant think right now! We're a bunch of weirdos here!

-k

Pam, HAHA! Yep, I've been told we say "yins" alot. Yins-Ya'll-Git-Outter (Outter Here)- Gon(Go-on...)-Skit-Skat-Jus- Haha.. Western PA Slang for ya Iguess. My favorite at a restraunt is "What canna git for yins guys?"Excuse the lingo but someone came up with this little Ditty- We're sofaking we todded. That should be censored.

PA Proud!

Kat

I live in NY state, too, but am not yet familiarwith all the sayings. I'm a transplant from PA Dutch country viaConnecticut.:? The PA Dutch have a lot of strange little sayings butit's true - you don't notice what's local until you move out of thearea.

Like, I always thought everyone had a long Thanksgiving weekend thatextended until Monday. I didn't realize schools in PA are closed thatMonday because it's the first day of hunting season!

Some PA Dutch sayings:

Throw me down the stairs my hat nah = Throw my hat down the stairs tome now(it's one of those word-order things of German origin)

Gretzy = grouchy

Mutt Garts = fenders i.e. mud guards (but they pronounce it like "Mutt Garts")

Scrapple = a block of butcher floor-sweepin's that you slice and fry and eat with breakfast

Some Italian phrases I learned from my ex:

Stunod = stupid

Gavoon = low-class

Goombad = close friend

Gi Gatz! = What the heck! or Oh no!(Actually it means something else, but this is a nicer way to put it!)

Some Yiddish phrases I learned from my boyfriend:
Verkuckt = crazy, in a messed up way

Yenta = busybody

Shiksa = non-Jewish female (yes, I am his Shiksa girlfriend!)

There's more, but I can't think of them right now. I manage to combine all of them all day long. For example, at work:
"I'm gretzy because the stunod factory sent me these verkuckte samples!"

Ahhh, the great melting pot!:p

It's funny how similar some languages are!

My family is German, I studied German for years (although I don't speakit very well now - it's been too long) and I meet a guy ofRussian-Jewish heritage who understands Yiddish! So we can both usewords our families use and know what each other is saying! Funny!:)

Texan;

lite a shuck= leave quickly - they used to lite dynamite with corn shucks-I'm about to lite a shuck.

shakin like a dawg poopin a peach seed= nervous

fine as a frog hair split four ways = feelin good

coke means all sodas

purt near= real close, almost the same as- I'm purt near there.

fixin to= about to, going to- I'm fixin to be there.

wall eyed= mad, crazy

geehaw= see eye to eye-I don't geehaw with him.

washateria= landramat

slick or slicktail= possum

ringtail = raccoon

possum on the half shell= armadillo

I could go on for days. Never knew of them was odd until I went intothe Army and was stationed in Ft. Drum NY and noone knew what I wastalking about. But ya'll New yorkers got some doosies too.

Tom

Latest posts

Back