O/T job trouble

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black_jack

Reaction score
i work for a company andhave recently applied for a job within the company, or 2 to beexact.

The one position I applied for i have aninterview for Thursday next week.

The second position, i have been told that only afew ppl applied and that I was the only person worthy of interviewingso they are going to readvertise the post and my interview date will bepostponed....

I dont know whether this is a rule or a decision for this to be readvertised.

I thought maybe its a company policy but have beentold that they have chosen to re-advertise...so did they choose or dothey have to?

I have been told if the same thing happens againthen things will change and if i havent been snapped up in the meantime something may happen.

how do i read this?

I've worked in HR for many years black jack so maybe I can help.

When you say they want to re-advertise the job posting do you mean theywant to post again internally, or are they running ads externally(online and in the newspaper)?

It's hard to say if the decision to re-post is a rule without knowingwhatyour company's hiring policies are. My guesswould be it's not. There are no laws that I am aware of thatrequire a private business to re-post job vacancies....now if you areworking for the government, that's a different story. But, Ipersonally have never heard of such a thing being a "rule", but rathera decision.

My personal opinion....from what you've posted so far.....they thinkyou are somewhat qualified for the job, maybe not *exactly* what theyare looking for and they want to see who else is out there.You said you applied for 2 jobs. They may feel you are morequalified for the other job.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

bunnee mom wrote:
I've worked in HR for many years black jack so maybe I can help.

When you say they want to re-advertise the job posting do you mean theywant to post again internally, or are they running ads externally(online and in the newspaper)?

It's hard to say if the decision to re-post is a rule without knowingwhatyour company's hiring policies are. My guesswould be it's not. There are no laws that I am aware of thatrequire a private business to re-post job vacancies....now if you areworking for the government, that's a different story. But, Ipersonally have never heard of such a thing being a "rule", but rathera decision.

My personal opinion....from what you've posted so far.....they thinkyou are somewhat qualified for the job, maybe not *exactly* what theyare looking for and they want to see who else is out there.You said you applied for 2 jobs. They may feel you are morequalified for the other job.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

Thanks this was a bighelp. The job was advertised internally and externally andout of 5 people that applied I was the only onesuitable.

I didnt originally want toapply for it but was talked into it by a colleague who thinks I am morethan capable of doing it and she really wanted me to go forit.

I handed in the applicationfor the job i wanted wednesday and left this application untilfriday.

I'm guessing it may bepossible that they are concerned they will put all there eggs in onebasket by interviewing me if i go for the other job then they are upcreek without a padel? so this way they can suss out where my interestlies and still have a back up plan?

Thats probably just my wishful thinking though.

The first job i know i can do hands down.

The second, which i haventgot an interview for is a challenge that i was starting to really lookforward to....

Hmmm....this is a tough call without knowing all the particulars.

I'm guessing this must be a rather large company?

It sounds like you would be interviewing with 2 different people for 2 different departments?

I'm finding it quite odd that only5 people applied for thisjob?!? Something is not right, especially if it wasadvertised externally.

Can you talk to someone in the HR department....someone at a managerlevel?Tell them you are interested in both jobs andsee if they will let you interview for both and THEN make a decision onwhere you best fit? It might be worth a shot...stress to themthat you are looking for more challenging assignments and you canhandle job#2, if that's the one you really want.

Hi :).. my opinion might ease your mind..

you see, when i applied for my job, they told me the same thing.. and afriend of mine who work as HR in the company told me that they DO havesuch regulation about hiring ppl.. they HAVE TO choose from a minimumof 3 SUITABLE candidates.. to make sure that they hire the best.. inthe end, here i am :)...

so i think, it's possible that such is the case with you.. GOOD LUCK:)

thanksbunnee mom and dudut that does help alot. The jobs I'm goingforare under one department with one big boss and then asegmented department under a medium boss. I know itsounds nuts lol. Will speak to my boss today as she isbrilliant and see what she says.

I did think it was officepolitics but then people start saying stuff and u go hang on a bit thatsounds off.

Had a horrible dream lastnight that there was only one job and i really wanted it but theyinterviewed one person and gave it to them and i was gutted and couldntdo my current job properly.

Probably lifes way of sayingdont let ur job situation effect ur current joblol.

Thanks again xx

Quick update... I got the job I wanted at11:00 am this morning!! :D

But the water is a bit hot cos i went for 2 :(

someone has said that thejob i didnt get was the job i really wanted but they have said it tothe temp who went for the same interview :(

I have spoken to the ladyi will be working with to let her know what's going on but noticed thetemp then went and spoke to my new boss...

probably just being sensitive, why cant anything be simple?

fingers crossed ;)lol. Idid feel weird when they said they werent going to re-advertise afterall and that whoever didnt get the one job would get the other but whenthis kicked off i know i want the job i have

*confusing i know*

think things are okay as ispoke to the temp and she seems fine i just hate being the big moolol..

may all kick off againtomorrow but tough lol :ele:i got the job lol xx

thank you xx

I have seen this in the company I work for whenwe were self directed. Basically they are saying they wantmore candidates to select from. Personally I don't like itwhen they go outside the company when they have a qualified personwithin the company. A lot of this has to do with themanager. One thing to think about is why so few peopleapplied.

Ed

because there was 2 really high paying jobsadvertised at the same time lol, doesnt matter now though as i got ajob with a lil more money just gotta get used to the early starts nowlol - Thanks everyone xx

Job blues :sad:

Whilst i'm really happyfor being given a full time job and the extra money will come in reallyhandy i cant help feeling a little sad.

I love my job at themoment and I don't know how i'm going to find leavingit.

I really love the team imwith and i like the team im going to but this has been my job for 2years i'm sad to be leaving.

Is this normal?

Yes, I'm having the same issue. Whichis why I'm being a little slow about finding a new job, which I reallyneed. I just like my coworkers so much and I'm comfortable inmy job.

Ah! I have the opposite situation. I love my jobbut hate my coworkers. Probably because they are a couple years olderthan me but with the maturity of 13 year olds. Toughdecisions!! I'm 19 and I usually work a full 55+ hours a week. If Ididn't have to deal with them, I think I would probably be slavingmyself trying to be the best at what I do. :?

Latest posts

Back