O/T Family pet put to sleep today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
My mother in law's dog, Magic, had to be put to sleep today. :(

She (Magic) hasn't been doing very well over the past few months. Shewas an older dog with hip/leg problems and recently we just found outcancer. To date, she was on six different medications and finallyChris, my mother in law, decided it was for the best. It was a harddecision, but one we all know we face one day when having pets. Chrisdecided to give Magic one last good week, with lots of love and treatsand runs in her favorite park by the creek.

Today was heartwrenching. Magic knew what was coming. How, I don'tknow, but she did. When I was saying goodbye to her, she was shiveringand shaking and giving me the saddest look. Royal, the other dog, alsoknew something was going on.

Tonight, Royal is miserable. She's isolating herself on the deck,staring out into the backyard. Chris and I have been alternatingspending some time with her. It amazes me how sensitive animals are tothese situations. Chris is so sad as well, she's trying not hold up agood front, but as one woman to another, I can sense her soul aching.Magic was her baby. Myself, I've been crying off and on all day.

Sorry to post this, but I feel that all of you will understand theheartache of loosing a pet. They are a part of our family, not just ananimal we take care of. So all of you give your rabbits, cats, dogs,birds, whatever lots of extra love tonight for me! Not that you alldon't love your buns and other pets to death, but...I'd just feelbetter knowing everyone else was giving their bunny a special kiss onthe nose tonight.

"His dog up and died
Up and died.
For twenty years
he still grieved."

Yes, Stephanie,

We do know your pain. You're an angel to be so caring of yourmother-in-law and Royal. My heart goes out to you and your family. Ourpets give us unconditional love, laughter, joy, and a place to run towhenever we're a little bummed out. To lose this important familymember is no easy loss.

I will most certainly give my little ones extra love and treatsespecially from Magic tonight. I firmly believe you will see her againwhen it's time for you to enter into heaven.

Perhaps you're familiar with the poem The Rainbow Bridge, but if you're not, take a minute to read it. I hope it comforts you.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm

My thoughts are prayers are with you and the ones that Magic had toleave behind. Although she's feeling better, I know how difficult youall have it right now. I'm so sorry.

With deepest sympathy,
-Carolyn

Very sorry to hear of your loss and am keepingyou, your family and Royal. That "last walk" is always sohard, and I feel your heartbreak.

Pam

I too feel your pain. We lostour family cat, Nikki the day after mothers day this year. Hewas 18 years old, and I miss him so much. Mom stillgrieves-there will always be a missing spot in our hearts.

-Carrie

So sorry to hear about Magic. I sometimes thinkit's harder losing a pet than a person - people understand the loss ofa human and give support, but many think of a pet as a 'pet' and don'tunderstand the grieving, but they are family. Thinking of you and Chris- Jan

It was very sweet of you tosend yourlove to our pets in honor of Magic, Stephanie. I found thatvery moving. You've got a heart of gold.

I've cried harder for the loss of some pets than I have for a lot of people.

You'll remain in my thoughts and prayers during this time of sadness and grief.

-Carolyn

BunnyMommy was sweet enough to post a memorial site in here. Perhaps you might add Magic's name to it.

I'll find it and bump it back to the top.

-Carolyn

I am very sorry for your lost. My grandparents had to put their dog to sleep when she was very old and very sick, its very sad.

Im sorry to hear about your loss i have a dog whois almost 12 and boy i sure can see signs of aging on her gray aroundher eyes and muzzle....i dred the day i have to make the discison toput her down :(

Back