O/T allergies in a dog...........

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
Does anyone know if i can give my dog benadrylfor allergies she is rubbing her face all over and her eyes are swollennow....i looked and it isnt a bee sting...any advise wouldhelp! andthis is what my dog looks like lol but she isnt green!!

It is okay to give benedryl to somedogs. I think it depends on the size of the dog how much youwould give them. I got this from a vet website...hope ithelps.

Dawn

Antihistamines are useful in the treatment of itching in somedogs and cats. Used alone, about 15 to 25% of dogs will respond toantihistamines. Used in combination with fatty acid inhibitors, such asDermCaps, EFA-Z and Omega EFA capsules, about 25 to 40% of dogs willrespond, reducing scratching behaviour to acceptable levels.Antihistamines available over-the-counter are Benedryl(diphenhydramine, 25mg capsules) and Chlortrimeton (chlorpheniraminemaleate, 4mg tablets). There are prescription antihistamines, notablyAtarax (hydroxyzine) that work better in some cases. It is necessary toget a dosage for your particular dog or cat from your vet. Dogs andcats have individual reactions to antihistamines. Since some dogs willrespond better to one than another, it is best to try more than oneantihistamine before giving up on them to control itching. Some petswill become drowsy when taking antihistamines. If this is unacceptable,they can not be used, or might be best to use at bedtime. Occasionallya pet will get excited when given antihistamines. These pets should notbe given these products.
This is fromhttp://www.vetinfo.com/dallergy.html#Allergies,Feeding%20peanut%20butter%20with%20pills,andhttp://www.irishdogs.ie/Information/vet/Itch%20Control.htm

Hooh boy...I had a dog that was so-called"allergic to life". Yes, Benedryl is okay to give a dog, dependant onsize, as Dawn said. Pepper was almost 70 pounds, and I could give himthree at a time (that was only when his allergies were really bad). Theimportant thing is to figure out what is causing this reaction; thatway, you can treat the cause, not just the symptoms.

Back