Nutrition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
question 1 - How much grass can rabbits eat ? Can they eat as much as they want ? can anything happen to them if they eat too much ?

Question 2 - what does it mean if a bunny starts to get moist/runny poo ? Is there anything i can do to fix it ?

How old is the rabbit in question? Age plays a big factor. I've generally answered for healthy adult buns, but baby and young buns often have a much lower tolerance for fresh foods.

1, Each rabbit will have a difference tolerance. Some can eat as much as they want, some can't. Often spring grass is rich and can upset even the hardest tummy. I guess what applies here applies to all types of food, it needs to be introduced slowly so that you know the gut can tolerate it.

What can potentially happen is that the gut can get upset, which can be shown in things like moist poo, diarrhoea, gas, no poo, etc, so you have to watch your bunny carefully.

2, There can be many reasons why a bunny might get moist poo, but given your previous question it could be related to the grass.

However, generally it can be dietary, medical (such as an illness, parasite), it can also be caused by stress too, and sometimes there may be no cause.

If the issue is dietary then it is worth going back to just grass hay and pushing the hay until the fecals go back to normal, then reintroducing pellets, to start with, and anything else very slowly after the rabbit is settled on pellets and hay. If the poos become not ideal again, then go back a step and eradicate whatever has caused the problem.

You would have to first establish though whether the problem is excess cecals, or if it is the fecals that are moist. Is the bunny doing regular normal poos too?

If the issue is not dietary then the rabbit should go to the vet. In some cases, even if it is dietary the bun should see the vet. If it's not improving with your efforts then ideally the bun needs the vets, and obviosuly if it gets worse, or any other problems are arising, then a vet trip is in order.

Thankyou for your help :)
My bunny (Pumpkin) is only about 10 weeks old, and when i got her , the poos were quite normal.
I think your right in saying that the grass can be harsh on the stomach. As much as she loves the grass, i believe that may be the problem.
She started eating some grass every day for about 4 days and since then the poo has become moist now that i think about it.
She also does normal poo but they are mostly becoming moist.
Do you think if i stop the grass then it should return back to normal ?
I also started the grass because she seems to be fussy and not eat very much of the hay but will eat the pellet mix (which also has other seeds and corn and things in it from the pet shop).
Is there a way to get her to eat more hay?
:nerves1:)

she should have plain alfalfa pellets...plain meaning no pieces of corn , seeds etc mixed in ; that type of pellet is not good or healthy

I would cut out the grass because she is so young it could set off a bad GI upset which is serious in young rabbits. Too much grass can cause bloat even in adult rabbits.
i would offer her different types of good quality alfalfa and other hay and not greens or grass.
I would also give her some probiotics like benebac to reestablish the microorganisms in her tummy

if you don't have benebac there you can get a probiotic for horses in a farm store for minimal fee.

let us know if her poos go back to normal...

I hope that someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think lucerne hay is another name for alfalfa hay

Alfalfa hay is the right one to feed for a young rabbit until at least 6 months of hay then you want a grass or timothy hay that is not so rich

Maye someone else will comment but I think lucerne is fine

http://www.fodderking.com.au/horses.html

I just wanted to say that when you transition her over to a different pellet, do so slowly. Just replace a small amount of old stuff with new stuff everyday, increasing it up. The transition should take no quicker than 2 weeks, and mine tend to take 4 weeks, but I'm incredibly fussy.

I hope her tpoos return to normal soon :)

Meh, my buns and guinea pigs LOVE our grass that grows out back....but they want my hubby to go out and pick it by the handfuls and bring it into the pen so they can eat it...they show no interest at all when he's put them on their harness and lead and taken them over, lol - they've got him well-trained and never even had to crack a book to learn how to do it - smart little critters.

Latest posts

Back