nutrition of flowers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blonde

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Does anyone have any idea of the nutritional value of flowers such as roses as my bunnies love them> Or are they merely a treat?

Also are Cemellia's a safe flower?

Roses are fine for bunnies, but I don't know the nutritional value, at least not for the petals. Don't know whether anyone has ever analyzed them.
There is information on the rose-hips, though.

Do you mean "Camellia"? (Camellia japonica, or common camellia) If so, according to the ASPCA, the plant is Non-Toxic to Cats, Non-Toxic to Dogs, Non-Toxic to Horses. So I suppose the flowers are ok, too.

It is also on this list of non-toxic plants: http://www.sniksnak.com/plants.html

Thanks Hazel Mom for getting to this post.

You have so much info !!!!
Amazing!

Maureen

I also have no idea re, nutritional value only that they are safe.

Thanks so much, that is very informative. As foe the camellia-it is a hybrid i have growing on the property so i am not sure what type it is, but i will ask my friend who is a horticulurist. Thank you for the link.

What other flowers are safe? We've got lots of flowers around our place. I've been giving them dandelion flowers, will give them roses once those are out. I didn't give them apple blossoms because I read somewhere than they can have cyanide precursors in them, I think they might be mildly toxic? Honeysuckle blossoms are a no-no. Anyone know about lilacs, haven't looked into those yet?

That's interesting, this site says apple blossoms and jasmine flowers are okay, and I'm pretty sure I've encountered these to be toxic elsewhere. There do seem to be differing opinions on many things regarding bunny care, though.

Latest posts

Back