Nutrition/Feeding 8 Week Old Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaschewy

Reaction score
Please help me with feeding baby rabbit. Does he need only hay and pellets at this age? Since he is so young, any special advice for me on beginning litter training, etc. thanks

At that age hay and good quality pellets are the most appropriate diet. He's a little young to try litter training but if you watch where he goes to the bathroom you could put the box there, as a start.

Yep, hay and pellets is definitely the best diet for him right now. Make sure the hay is plentiful and unlimited!

I am sure you've done plenty of bunny research and have a basic idea of how to potty train a rabbit. Just remember to stay consistent and be patient! You never know what will happen. Breezy, my current bunny, I pulled from a questionable situation when she was only 4 weeks old. She is now around 6 weeks old and from the moment I brought her home she has ONLY used her litterbox and (knock on wood) hasn't had a single accident even when she has full roaming access from x-pen to cage. It's so lucky it's almost unfair, hehe

:devil

Thanks. I read that some feed alfalfa hay for a while, then switch to grass hay. What do you guys suggest? I have both alfalfa and Bermuda grass hay available. As far as litter training, thought I would not give him access to his entire cage for a while, as its enormous, with a big bottom floor with 4 doors with access to the kitchen floor (where he will be able to be outside his cage on the vinyl) and two rooms upstairs. I'm hoping for a good outcome with the litter training, but know I must be patient.

Thanks. I read that some feed alfalfa hay for a while, then switch to grass hay. What do you guys suggest? I have both alfalfa and Bermuda grass hay available. As far as litter training, thought I would not give him access to his entire cage for a while, as its enormous, with a big bottom floor with 4 doors with access to the kitchen floor (where he will be able to be outside his cage on the vinyl) and two rooms upstairs. I'm hoping for a good outcome with the litter training, but know I must be patient.

Yep! You're spot on with restricting his space (except for daily play time) while litter training. Slowly you can graduate the larger spaces as long as he keeps returning to his litterboxes. Offering him more than one might help at first.

Since he is a baby, I'd recommend a mix of both grass and alfalfa hay. If you can't get both, go with the grass hay since his pellets are probably alfalfa based anyway.

Back