Nutri-Cal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
:anyone:

Does anyone useNutri-Cal?

I haven't heard anyone mention it for a while.

I was checking exp dates on some stuff and remembered I had a tube in the fridge.

It's expired, but I can get it at most pet stores.

I do, for buns in stasis. All of mine hate it though so I really don't use it much. Usually more ends up on the floor and walls than in their mouths!

naturestee wrote:
I do, for buns in stasis. All of mine hate it though so I really don't use it much. Usually more ends up on the floor and walls than in their mouths!

I use it for stasis, too....and sometimes if a bun is having an extreme molt/shed.

It's a great supplement for the buns that go off their feed or need a boost.

I use to kid about how it would make them eat more....just to get the taste out of their mouths ;).

I think I still have a few ceiling stains from them flicking it off their paws.
S'more was especially good at that!

I do not use Nutri Cal, Laxotone, Cat Lax or any of those things. They are not intended for an obligate herbivore....they are intended for a carnivore. Among other things, they tend to dehydrate the gut. Just wonder how cane molasses (isn't that a lot of sugar) can possibly help the gut of a rabbit. It does tend to collapse ingesta impactions into a denser meassand that draws hydration from the gut....the opposite of what you need. And B Comp is a much safer and effecive "kick in the cottontail" to stimulate appetite.

Randy

i used to use nutri-cal on tabby to get him some extra vitamins when he was on all those anti-biotics
some rabbits do not like the taste so it may be hard to give
i used to use a syringe to administer it

ra7751 wrote:
I do not use Nutri Cal, Laxotone, Cat Lax or any of those things. They are not intended for an obligate herbivore....they are intended for a carnivore. Among other things, they tend to dehydrate the gut. Just wonder how cane molasses (isn't that a lot of sugar) can possibly help the gut of a rabbit. It does tend to collapse ingesta impactions into a denser meassand that draws hydration from the gut....the opposite of what you need. And B Comp is a much safer and effecive "kick in the cottontail" to stimulate appetite.

Randy

Thanks, Randy.

The B Complex....would that be the same as we can get in the stores (ie GNC)?
I've seen it in tablet and liquid form.
Arethere any guidelines for dosages?

The B Comp you see in the health food stores aren't of much use in animals from what I have seen. I don't really know if it couldwithstand the acidic gut. I always use injectable. There are a wide range of concentations of this drug so it all depends on what particular version you have as to the amount you dose. I have had 12.5mg all the way up to 100mg. We use it quite a bit in wildlife. In some states, you can buy B Comp at farm supplies and others it probably requires a prescription. I would suggest asking your vet if a RX is required in your state.

Randy

Back