Nurturing or spaying !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stang-girl13

Reaction score
Me an my bf are fighting about wether or not to fix our bunny!

he says nooooo to expensive an we only have one rabbit and she coild probably die from it ...

I say yes cause of heath reasons ..dont want her to get cancer

Shes almost 5 months old an after 6 months you should get them fix

Torn idk what to do

If you can find a good experienced rabbit vet, the chances of her dying from the surgery are very low. I would spay more for the behavioural benefits, and in case you want to take on another bunny in future. Cancer may or may not happen but well, I wouldn't want to take the risk either.

It is expensive though. Some vets will let you work out a payment plan to gradually settle the cost without having to fork over a huge sum at once.

Personally I'm a proponent of spaying and neutering all non-production rabbits. With females, ovariohysterectomy eliminates their risk of uterine tumors and greatly reduces their risk of mammary tumors. With males it eliminates their risk of testicular cancer. In both genders it is thought to make litter training easier and reduce other unwanted behaviors like circling. It also makes them easier to bond.

As for the cost, yes, all surgery is costly (and really, if someone offered to perform abdominal surgery on you for anything less than $1,000 without insurance I bet you'd think it was an incredible deal!). Sometimes you can find low-cost options by contacting your animal shelter or local rabbit rescues. A referral to a vet from a rabbit rescue is great as typically you'll find a vet who sees a lot of rabbits but offers a relatively low price.
There are also risks with all surgeries and with any anesthesia, but in a young animal those risks are greatly reduced and in an older animal with a proper work up, it's really not something that you would need to worry about.

Spaying isn't that expensive if you think of it like this- if spaying is $200 and the bunny lives 8 years spaying only costs $25 dollars a year. All animals make better more affectionate pets if they are fixed. Female rabbits get frustrated and grumpy when not spayed.

I was quoted $360 by the only vet around that takes rabbits ! Shes a hyper nut she dosnt listen to me an shes chew cage and shes just crazy lol wouldn't mind her calming down that way I can snuggle with her an watch tv or something ! Right now shes zum zum zum all over

My baby girl, FlutterShy, is getting her surgery Monday. Here in central Florida the cost is about $115.00.

It's not actually that common to have MAJOR problems after altering rabbits. If you don't plan to breed them at all, I recommend it.

I have had 5 rabbits that I had fixed (2 females and 3 males).
Yes it was pricier than when I got my cats spayed but both of the females lived quite a long while. The Mom (Patty Cake) lived to be 9 and her daughter (Fuzzy) lived to be over 10! It was definitely worth it as we didn't want more baby buns and keep them from getting reproductive cancers which I heard is quite high in females over 5 yrs.

If you are not planning on breeding your rabbit I would suggest getting her spayed. There is a huge difference if you are planning on keeping your rabbit indoors. Litter box training in easier, no spraying, calmer and in their later years plays a huge role in their health. All of my rabbits have been desexed and I have not had a single problem during their recovery. The key is being well informed.

Unless you plan for your bun to breed, or there are health reasons not to do so, I would always advise to have your bunny fixed. It allows them to not be fueled by hormonal behaviour (which can be frustrating, especially as a solo bun), tends to improve their litter habits, removes spraying behaviours, etc. It also improves the health of female buns, reducing the risk of ovarian cancer by 80%. The surgery can be scary and expensive, but the risks associated are quite low.

Latest posts

Back