Nummy has a kidney stone and it will likely take his life.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myheart, I just read your entire blog on Luna and I bawled my eyes out!:cry2 I know what I am to expect now with my little guy and I just don't know if I can do this... although I am in it with him till the end. I am guessing that when he is getting closer to the end that he may produce more mucous, which will not be good for him since he already has sinus issues associated with his dental problems. He sneezes quite a bit kinda like a person with allergies. He is having all the eating issues like Luna did, except he goes on an off his pellets, I find he eats them most in the evening and early morning then has no interest in them all day.:expressionless I syringe feed him pellets all day then let him feed if he is on his pellets at night. Nummy has one stone in his kidney right now, it is maybe a medium size from what I gather from the vet. No one can be certain how fast it will grow of course, and I don't know at what time toxins would start to be released into his system. I keep him well hydrated giving him water often along with his greens. He was back to being happy tonight doing his cute circling around his stuffy and me humming and grunting away. :D I suppose that at least right now he is a happy little guy and has been getting an extra heap of attention for the last few months. I hope he gets through for a while. Loving my little guy is easy cuz he's wonderful!

He is not really drinking water lately... he drinks usually around a cup of water a day normally, but not at all lately. I have been giving him all his fluids through his force feedings which is 20cc's per feed every 2-3 hours at most. Then I follow up with 6-9 more cc's of water by itself for him. He also eats all his greens which is another water source. I might call his other vet for advice regarding sub-q fluids as I am kinda scared of this going wrong. Is his kidney's not flushing at all with all the water and food he is getting?

I would see if you can start fluids. I was scared opening this thread but glad to hear nummy is still hanging on. Giving fluids is difficult at first and you may want someone else there to help you the first couple of times until he and you get used to it but it will definitely help him out. Cats in renal failure have to be given fluid therapy. One owner couldn't mess with it so she brought in her cat every day to have it done. Which isn't fun but it is a more expensive option. I wish nummy and you good luck and you know he loves you for what you are doing :) Renal Failure cats also go on a special diet that like said before is low in calcium. Maybe see if there's anything different you should be doing nutrition wise

Prayers.

Nummy is doing well today:). I let him rest in his pen today since I learned that through the day is when rabbits tend to rest the most. I will let him out after supper tonight to get some play time in till around 12:00am. I found out that I was force feeding him 200ml on average a day which is way too much for him:eats: ! He really needs to only be eating around 60-100ml a day max. Oops! I guess that's why he might not be so hungry. The vet said to give him food around every 4 hours or so along with letting him graze on his greens if he wants.

I have been so tired these last few weeks trying to feed him every 2 hours along with giving him his meds. I have only been getting around 4-4 1/2 hours of sleep a night and I am also a little sick with a cold that has been lingering for over a week. I could really use some rest myself. :yawn:

I have noticed that Nummy's litter box has lots of pee in it from all the fluids he is getting from all his food, greens and water I have been giving, so I am glad he is weeing a lot and keeping those kidneys flushing out. At least he is in a good mood today, and is spending his afternoon resting, after all he is a senior citizen and needs more rest! I think I am going to rest for a while too before his next feeding is due.

Glad to hear Nummy had a good day and is flushing those kidneys. Hope you got some rest too. You done an awesome job with your bun but you need to also take care of yourself.

Sending some well wishes your way.

Dobby, Kreacher, Willard, and Jake sending their well wishes too for you and Nummy.

K :)

Many thoughts and prayers of comfort for both Nummy and you! He sounds precious and I am terribly sorry that your best buddy was diagnosed with kidney stones! I pray that he will have many more days with you - as long as he's comfortable and happy!

I am so so sorry to hear about Nummy(adorable name by the way)and the difficult prognosis..it's so hard when there's nothing you can try to do. I'll keep him in my prayers. :pray:

Be sure to take lots of pictures during of him- right before I lost my last bunny, I took loads of pictures of her and those have been very precious to me over time now looking back.

Thank-you everyone for praying for Nummy and myself. Nummy has been doing quite well in the past 2 days. He has been eating on his own, but still not drinking water. I am making sure to syringe him water daily around 60-100ml min along with offering him his soaked leafy greens. He seems bright eyed and happy, I think having him move into my room has really improved his mood in the last little while. He is getting so much attention and he is really soaking it up! :biggrin: I have been snapping pics of him when I catch him doing sweet little things, and I decided that when he does leave this world, I am going to clean up his little stuffed girlfriend and keep her as a memory of him since he loves her so much lol. I am really glad he is feeling better. he is such a sweet little guy and I truly adore him! I will post some pics of him soon and you all can see what he has been up to in the last few days. :)

:hello Everyone! I am happy to say that Nummy is still eating on his own, it has been about a week that he has been going on this way. I still have not noticed him drinking any water, but I am making sure to provide fresh soaked greens and I still syringe him his water just to be sure he is getting enough. I tried him on the pumpkin, at first he was not into it at all. I started out syringing some to him, around 3cc's at a time. Then I started to notice he would go for the syringe when I would come with the pumpkin. I left a little in his bowl overnight, and when I woke, the pumpkin was gone! I am glad he really likes it because I decided to remove all the high calcium veggies from his diet, I just don't want to speed up the growth process of his stones. He used to enjoy some mint, spinach, kale and dandelion leaf, but after I did some research I found out those veggies were relatively high on the calcium side, and since he is eating quite a bit as he always has, I don't want to make the stones rapidly grow if it can be prevented. So now his diet consists of his pellets, some green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, a little bell peppers (the sweet ones of course), some carrot, and now the pumpkin. He gets some fruit at times but not a lot. But when he does he gets to enjoy some banana, blackberries or some blueberries. Not all at once though lol! I am glad he can have a variety still, because he has been used to having a few different things to eat. He used to love the mint though but he can live without it! All the moisture in his veggies and pumpkin are helping him stay well hydrated and have lots of pee, along with my syringing, so I suppose that is good. He seems happy for the most part, what you would expect from a senior I suppose, but all in all I am just happy he is doing alright. I hope he passes the bladder stone. I worry more about that than the kidney stone. He had a bladder stone before, and by the time I noticed something was really wrong, his urethra was totally blocked!:shock:. I have been watching to see if any straining is happening, and so far so good. I hope it stays that way. Oh and as I said, Nummy really enjoys the pumpkin, but what is considered a safe amount to feed daily? I have been giving him around 3 tbs a day one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I like that it has lots of water content and is high in fiber, but I don't wanna over do it with the stuff. Any suggestions? As promised here are some pictures of the little guy.
010-1-1.jpg

009-5-1.jpg

007-3-1.jpg

003-3-1.jpg

Awwww ..... such a cutie!:bunnyheart

When my Chippy was diagnosed with cancer I was devastated.
The vet advised me that she didn't have long, and to expect good days and bad days.

I proceeded to spoil her rotten. Lots of treats, lots of cuddles, lots of quality time.

I took hundreds of pics.

During her free run time I would set up my web cam and provide a live stream for everyone to watch (The Chippy Show).

I would also set up the web cam when she was having a bad day, so I could watch her from work.

She lived for almost 2 years after her diagnosis. She was almost 7 years old when she went to the Bridge.

So glad Nummy is doing well. His mint days are over, but I don't see that as a loss. We all have to give up those rich foods when we get older. lol He's enjoying the pumpkin. I don't think it's hurting him to have it 3 times a day. Just observe him. I like the fact of the liquid.

Hoping that bladder stone passes soon with no trouble.

He is such a Handsome Bunny. Wishing him the best!

K :)

I only just found this thread... but it makes me really sad :(
I'm so sorry to hear about your dear, Nummy.

I've never lost a pet bunny before but I've lost a sibling
and I can only imagine that it just as painful of an experience.

I pray that Nummy passes his stones through! :pray:

I just want to start by saying thank-you to all the nice compliments about Nummy. I let him know all the time there are people out there praying for him.:D It has been over a week and the little guy is still eating his food without my help. I think he is drinking some water too because the water bowl looks less full today. I did come up with a great way to get water in him though without having to force it to him. He hates taking forced water.... so I came up with a better idea on how to make it into more of a treat for him. I sliced a small bit of banana, placed it into a small dish, added about 60 ml of water to it and mashed the banana into it. There is banana bits floating around in the soupy mix, and when I offer it to him he takes it as if he is drinking from a hanging bottle :D. He loves it! I am glad he will drink it because I want to keep him stress free. At least he is still a happy little bunny, and I am glad he is feeling better in the last little while.

Cheri, good for you coming up with a stress-free way to get more water into Nummy! :yahoo::weee::pinkbouce::clapping::pinkelepht::party0002:

Go Nummy Go! He's so cute I just want to kiss his nose. TLC can go a long way to keeping a bun fighting.

Continued prayers that Nummy will pass the stone and heal :pray:

Nummy wrote:
..... when I offer it to him he takes it as if he is drinking from a hanging bottle :D. He loves it!

So, are you still putting it in a syringe to offer it to him....or is he drinking it right out of the bowl?

None of my buns liked to be syringed anything.....but if I mixed in some banana baby food they would sit and take it right out of the syringe willingly. No wrapping up into a burrito, hold, forcing, etc.....they'd just hop over and take it like it was a treat. A lot less stressful for both of us.

I just found this in Rabbit Nutrition: that some researchers have found that high-acid fruits like lemons could dissolve calcium oxalate [but not calcium carbonate] crystals. Also that some vets suggest rabbits with calcium oxalate stones should be given potassium-magnesium citrate or potassium citrate. So bring on the lemonade & get some citrate at a drugstore or health food store.

That's really interesting about the lemons. I wonder if orange would work as well?

So glad Nummy is still hanging in there. Keep pushing the water. If he's drinking the whole 60 mL, I'd increase the amount you're giving him. Really, unless you're giving him riduculous amounts (which can lead to electrolyte imbalances), I'd think the extra can only be good for his kidneys.

Rue

Yes Jim, Nummy is taking the banana water from the syringe. He is used to taking syringes, most of the time without any trouble. I am really blessed because Nummy has never had to be wrapped up in burrito style to take in any force feedings or medicine. I just let him sit where he is and I come to him with a syringe. I sometimes have to hold his head a little, but for the most part I think he knows I am only trying to help him out. He loves taking the ovol gas meds too from the syringe when he has gas issues because it tastes minty lol. He really loves mint! And now with the banana water he is very happy about his water intake. He is getting a lot of fluids between me giving him his new flavored water and his fresh leafy greens, also he is now on pumpkin which he really loves, I'd say he is getting a lot of water! :biggrin: Which of course is a good thing for his little kidneys.

I never heard of the potassium citrate or potassium-magnesium citrate before. I wonder how much you would give to a rabbit. Is it in a tablet form or something? He does like oranges if that would help him though I am not sure. I wish there was a way to shrink the stone in his kidney and his bladder. Funny thing is he only has one in each. The kidney stone to me looks really small but according to the vet it is not. The bladder stone she said he could pass, but I am still worried about it getting stuck on the way out like the last one he had. It was right in his *** and the vet was able to just pop it out! But poor Nummy was in some major discomfort at that time. Poor little guy has been through it all. At least he's made it this far, and for the most part he his a happy little guy! I will look into the potassium citrate, at this point anything is worth trying to spare him from this. I hope he can go on living another 5+ years! :D

Back