Nuetering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikki8jean

Reaction score
What do you guys think? $240 for the exam and surgery. Does that sound like a good price?

$240 sounds like an upper middle range. We had ours done for $105 (in a more farmy area) but had to drive a little out of the way. We were quoted upwards of $300 in Fairfax and didn't want to pay that much.

That's an excellent price for here in NY. I got quotes for Bentley that range from $300-500. It's out of control with the vets in my area.

ok. they are a really good vet. i take my parrots there. they specialize in small animal and avian (birds) so 240 is probably reasonable then. thanks for the input!

To be honest to me that sounds pretty high...

My local humane society does a really great job for about 80 dollars. I understand wanting to feel like you are getting the best for your pets, and if your vet makes you feel that way then go for it.

But at the humane society the vets aren't worse or anything. They are regular vets with their own private practices that either volunteer their time or are paid to do it.

Just a suggestion.

Some vets don't consider rabbits exotic and some do...
For our vets, a cat is a dog is a rabbit, so he and she just charge the basic neutering fee...
It is $80.85 for the neuter itself and the pre-surg and checkup exam after are free included in the cost...but I know the other vets in town it is $150 just to walk in the door and the neuter is upwards of $250 itself...

In Toronto you can pay $400 at some clinics...<big sigh>...I know vets have to make money too...but what is the sense of trying to get people to speuter their pets if they have to mortgage their house to do it? Sheesh.:grumpy:

It just depends on where you are and the vet you go to...

Danielle:)

Mine was $240, but now after having looked around that's one of the highest prices I could have paid. Made me mad. :/

Look around in your area. You might have a local/nearby bunny group with a list of recommended vets(I do, it's awesome). Of course you should check to see if they're good first, but it's a lot better to know that's the best price, instead of finding out later you could have gotten the whole neutering for like $100. :|

My vet (in an expensive area outside NYC) charged $300 for a neuter. I think $240 sounds reasonable for a very good exotic vet, but you might want to call around and see what other vets offer.

The way I saw it, I would rather pay an extra $100 for a vet that I trust 100%, but I also knew that extra $100 wouldn't be a financial hardship for us.

You may check with some rescues in your area. Buckeye HRS comes to mind. Our rescue has a low cost spay/neuter program set up with our preferred vets where people can have their rabbits done for $65. I don't know if Buckeye has a program or not, but they may be able to give you some suggestions.

I'm getting my boy fixed tomorrow, and They quoted me as 220$ for the surgery plus some meds to bring home, but 65$ for the pre exam. It seems a bit high of price, concidering I only got him for 50$. haha

Latest posts

Back