Now I'm lost!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agnesthelion wrote:
FallenRabbit wrote:
I don't even know how I'm even going to make a pen outside for a bunny. I DON'T want to pay $115 for a 'hutch' that is the size of a subway foot long... I mean I could MAKE a pen of NIC cubes for $50 that is x4 the size of the crappy 'hutch'. It doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking also about how I don't want to bring up a animal in a 'bad' habitat. I don't feel that rabbits should be outside, but I can't convice anyone that. So now I'm wondering if it is even worth it to have one that is outside. I'm thinking of it in the eyes of the animal right now.

^^^im sorry you can't convince your mom :( it's tough but a part of growing up. Believe me, I begged my mom for every pet under the sun. I was allowed a few over the years, but got told no alot. Now that I'm a mom, I understand. It's parents rules. Kids don't pay the bills and everything the child does is technically the parents responsibility. I'm not saying you won't take care of the rabbit, but the parent has to assume responsibility in case. It's her house, her rules.

As far as a rabbit being outside, I agree with you. I would never have my rabbit outside, even in San Diego. It's just a personal opinion of mine. I believe pets should be inside as a part of the family. So me personally...I would not get a rabbit if it had to be kept outside.

Again, sorry your mom doesn't see your point of view :(
I created a new thread to see what people say about rabbits outside.

If you could get her to visit a place where there are inside rabbits she wouldn't be so stubborn.

And I wouldn't want to keep a rabbit outside, but people do. Including where there's lots of snow. They just make sure it's insulated enough, the water doesn't freeze, etc. And in your case, there is the strong hope that by next summer your mother would see how good they'd be inside.

Your mother is lucky that it's this you're arguing about. My sister & I thought it might be good to have a 'bad' sibling, to take the pressure off of us. Of course that was a short-sighted thought, as we'd now be having to deal with this sibling's addictions, children, etc.

Okay so if I was to get an outside rabbit should I buy a $115 hutch, make an NIC cage (will it work outside?), or make my own rabbit area? By my own I mean make a wooden area for the rabbit to be in.

I don't think NIC would provide enough stability or shelter for outside? Maybe others can chime in on that.

Wood soaks up urine. As far as a hutch, what does the one you are interested look like?

If you have an outdoor bun, where would bunny get exercise? And realistically....how much time can you see yourself spending outside with bunny? Between school and homework and friends and sleeping and eating and watching tv and ALL the things you do inside......can you really see yourself outside for a few hours each day to give bunny companionship?

agnesthelion wrote:
I don't think NIC would provide enough stability or shelter for outside? Maybe others can chime in on that.

Wood soaks up urine. As far as a hutch, what does the one you are interested look like?

If you have an outdoor bun, where would bunny get exercise? And realistically....how much time can you see yourself spending outside with bunny? Between school and homework and friends and sleeping and eating and watching tv and ALL the things you do inside......can you really see yourself outside for a few hours each day to give bunny companionship?
That is what I was thinking.

Well it is like $145 just for a small hutch. I'm going to talk to my mom again because it depends if I'm going to be paying for the hutch or what. My first plan was to pay for everything if t he rabbit was inside, but it is an 'outside animal'...

Well I will bring the rabbit inside (if my mom buys a hutch then I can make a smaller NIC cage for the rabbit to have play time in or something) and I can play with it outside. Right now I am thinking of building my own on the ground pen.

Aw i'm sorry..

A NIC wouldnt really work outdoors. It wouldnt provide good shelter from the elements and hutches are expensive for nothing. It would probably be a better idea to build a hutch, but that seems like a lot of work.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
Aw i'm sorry..

A NIC wouldnt really work outdoors. It wouldnt provide good shelter from the elements and hutches are expensive for nothing. It would probably be a better idea to build a hutch, but that seems like a lot of work.

Well my thinking was that I have a dog carrier and a dog igloo that I could use as shelter. I could choose one, I'm probably going to use the carrier in summer and the igloo in winter. Then make something for him to run around in.
Igloo:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=M8YQUNGgDquWjALdiYHIDw&ved=0CFQQ8wIwAA

It is almost exactly like that.

For the carrier it is most like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=plas...4&start=23&ndsp=41&ved=1t:429,r:24,s:23,i:226

Okay, Thanks!
Im going on vacation in 2 weeks starting this weekend.( When we get back, that is when we could get a cage and stuff... if we were to get one.)

Hiya Hunter, my bunnies live outside in a huge run that is 12 ft long, 7ft wide and 5.5ft high so i can get into it. Here's a picture http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/312031_2439039093565_1996702492_n.jpg - they now have a shed attached too but i haven't got a picture just yet. So having a shed would work as they are not too expensive and give bunnies enough space, shelter, and they are living outside like your mum wants. I'm sure if your bunnies lived in something like this then both you and your mum would be happy, as they are living outside but also in a good sized living space.. I know what you mean! My mum never wanted me to get a bunny then one day she said fine! But she also thinks that bunnies belong outside, so my bunnies live outside, maybe show her this picture or go onto youtube and watch videos of 'shed's converted into bunny homes'? Hope this helps! :)

1357rabbitlover wrote:
Hiya Hunter, my bunnies live outside in a huge run that is 12 ft long, 7ft wide and 5.5ft high so i can get into it. Here's a picture http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/312031_2439039093565_1996702492_n.jpg - they now have a shed attached too but i haven't got a picture just yet. So having a shed would work as they are not too expensive and give bunnies enough space, shelter, and they are living outside like your mum wants. I'm sure if your bunnies lived in something like this then both you and your mum would be happy, as they are living outside but also in a good sized living space.. I know what you mean! My mum never wanted me to get a bunny then one day she said fine! But she also thinks that bunnies belong outside, so my bunnies live outside, maybe show her this picture or go onto youtube and watch videos of 'shed's converted into bunny homes'? Hope this helps! :)
That looks like an awesome house.!
Do you remember how much it cost to make it?
I really like the amount of space it gives to the rabbits. I will have to make it a little smaller ( one rabbit ) but I hope it will look similar to yours. :)

And is so much better than a hutch. A hutch AND run would be nice, but that's costly.

Maybe something like an old doghouse would be all you'd need as a shelter. find one in a yard sale & change the opening to large enough you can reach in to clean & then put some kind of flap there maybe, for weather protection.

LakeCondo wrote:
And is so much better than a hutch. A hutch AND run would be nice, but that's costly.

Maybe something like an old doghouse would be all you'd need as a shelter.  find one in a yard sale & change the opening to large enough you can reach in to clean & then put some kind of flap there maybe, for weather protection.
Ya I have a dog carrier and an igloo that I could use.

1357rabbitlover wrote:
A dog carrier has holes in so would let rain in if it was to rain, probably best getting a dog house of some sort or something, lol :)
Well I'm talking about that for summer.. It wont rain in summer for right now. The holes are on the sides and front so rain will not be that big of an issue (I will cover it with a tarp so FOR SURE no water enters.

(BTW I have had a frog for 7 years that I raised from a tadpole. He has died last night. 7 years, a good life, R. I. P. )

I would suggest if you are serious about getting a bun that you try to build your own outdoor enclosure. Note that it may be harder to adopt a bun if you plan to house it outside, since some rescues will only adopt to indoor housing conditions.

I feel that it would help show your mom that you are serious about a bunny and willing to put in the work required.

It would also allow you to make something that would be larger.

Dulmit wrote:
I would suggest if you are serious about getting a bun that you try to build your own outdoor enclosure. Note that it may be harder to adopt a bun if you plan to house it outside, since some rescues will only adopt to indoor housing conditions.

I feel that it would help show your mom that you are serious about a bunny and willing to put in the work required.

It would also allow you to make something that would be larger.
If I get one I will make an outside enclosure myself. I don't think I can get a rabbit from a rescue if it was to live outside.

Latest posts

Back