'nother newbiee :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Sam and im new to the forum :)

Iv never owned a rabbit before, but i am hoping to get one maybe soon and im looking forward to it :) I hope to maybe show or do bunny show jumping :D teehee !

Im debating between a holland lop or a flemish giant :) Any other sudjestions ? Or which one do you like best and why ?

Thanks ! :) Hope to see you all around the forum :)

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

You've chosen a bun on each end of the size spectrum. I have both and they are good natured rabbits. Not always, because each rabbit has its own personality, but the larger the breed the more laid back they are.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

:wave:Hi Sam

This is a great place to read and learn about differen't breeds of bunnies

I have to say i absolutely love my little loppy's...but one day would love to own or should i say be 'owned' by a bigger bunny...but i would absolutelylove a continental giantthough.

Hi Sam :D welcome to RO.

I would recommend a smaller bunny to start off with- Flemish and Continental Giants are huge, so have very strong back legs etc. If you've not had much experience with rabbits before, I'd suggest a slightly smaller breed.

Jen

Hi and welcome to the forum! I currently breed both flemish giants and holland lops and among my first five or six rabbits I had both a holland lop and a flemish giant.

A lot of what you want to consider is what you want from a rabbit. Do you enjoy watching them play? How much do you want to handle them? How important is it to you that you can pet them and cuddle with them and hold them?

The holland lops are hilarious to have around and many of mine are affectionate and love nose rubs. But when they're out of their cages - get out of their way cause they want to RUN and play and binky and just...be bunnies.

Flemish giants are generally more subdued and laid back. The majority of mine will come and sit in my lap if I'm sitting on the floor during their playtime. My girls will sometimes sit with their heads in my lap for half an hour (or more) at a time if I'll pet them.

If I'm sitting on the floor during the holland lop's playtime - they still love to come to my lap - so they can use it to springboard off my legs for a running jump.

If you decide on a flemish giant - I highly recommend a female. In most rabbit breeds I recommend males as pets - but I find that in this breed - the girls are more of a cuddler/want to interact with you.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Welcome to RO!

I think Tinysmom has given you some excellent advice!

Another thing to consider: if you're thinking of getting into rabbit hopping/agility, -some people think Flemish Giants aren't well suited to the sport (maybe cause they're so laid back? ;)). But Holland Lops are very popular in the sport. As are Dutch bunnies.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Heey ! Thanks for all the replies !! :D
I think im leaning towards a lil loppy :)
Thoee im not quite sure if i want a more laid back bunny to cuddle with or to actually get into bunny hopping and watch them play... Thats a toughy for me :p
Im going to read alot more befor i make a final decition thoee :D
Thanks again for all the information ! :D
- Sam

Like so many others here, I too have owned and bred both Holland Lops and Flemish Giants. And I have fallen in love with both breeds for different reasons.

My very first rabbit was a Holland Lop named Daisy who I rescued from being snake food at a reptile show. She was a beautiful girl who had just the happiest attitude. Sadly, I lost her way too early in life to a case of G.I. stasis. But she gave me the bug. I had fallen in love with the Holland Lop and I would go on to own many and see all sorts of personalities, from the biggest baby to a massive brat, but I loved them all because they all had that Holland Lop, devil may care attitude and that amazing spirit for the fun of life!

I had always loved the idea of having a huge rabbit. I grew up with huge animals. We had Great Danes when I was growing up, when I rode horses, I learned on our neighbor's massive Tennessee Walker and when I had my own, the only thing taller then her in the barn were the work horses, my cat weighed over 20 lbs...a big bunny just seemed to fit. So...Sampson came into my life. He taught me why I adore big bunnies. He was just so laid back and we would hang out for hours. He started my Flemish obsession and I really can't imagine not having one. (Although, I don't have one right now...) I love that you can walk up to a Flemish cage and the rabbit inside will sleep through the entire thing. And there is nothing quite like the look of a Flemish laying spread eagle on it's back just snoozing away, completely relaxed without a care in the world. Oh and the sound from a full grown Flemmie binky!

I can't recommend either breed, I love them both. Do some research about each breed and see which will fit into your life better. I actually have to disagree with TinysMom here and say that if I'm recommending a sex for either of these breeds, I'd go with a male. I've had some amazing girls, but when I was getting my first Flemish and trying to decide buck or doe, Carolyn, a long time member here, told me if you want a girlfriend, get a doe, but if you want a baby, get a buck and I think that works well for all breeds. However, either way, go with your heart. Buck or doe, Holland or Flemish, they will touch your heart and that is your best guide to the right rabbit for you.

Hello again :)
Thanks cirrustwi That makes a lot of sense. :) I am leaning towards a flemmie because I like the animals that will sit with you for hours and hours :)

Latest posts

Back