Not sure where to post this

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishlops

Reaction score
I went out to my rabbits this morning to feed and water them.
They have a outdoor hutch.
A mouse ran out, im not good with the types but it was maybe a common brown filed mouse.

It just ran out from the top level and ran back inside teh bottom, by the time I ripped teh bottom door open, I could not see it and went off with a big stick in my hand looking for it but it dissappeared off the face of the earth.
How do I keep them away?
thanks
Ps, feel free mods to move to correct place

I assume your hutch isn't in the air? I'm not sure you could get rid of mice if they're around your rabbits.

If there is a space that your rabbits can't get to, you could set up a mouse trap, I realize thats cruel, buttttt.... I dunno.

They might make the live traps for mice? That way your rabbits cant get in them, but they may knock them over

I'm not much help

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
I assume your hutch isn't in the air? I'm not sure you could get rid of mice if they're around your rabbits.

If there is a space that your rabbits can't get to, you could set up a mouse trap, I realize thats cruel, buttttt.... I dunno.

They might make the live traps for mice? That way your rabbits cant get in them, but they may knock them over

I'm not much help
No no you are very nice for the advice.
I dont mind useing the mouse traps.
But there is no where the rabbits cant reach.

Hi

I had mice in my house recently and used live mouse traps which worked really well. They are $5, which isn't much more expensive than the kill traps (which I hate!), and worked great, you then just have to relocate the mice far from your house to prevent them from returning. I used peanut butter as bait.

There is no way for them to harm your rabbit, and even if your bunny throws it around, it should still stay set up.

Hope this helps?

I have had wild mice and domestic mice loose in the house. They basically would go in the rabbits pens to get some food and drink some water. That was about it. The rabbits just basically ignored them. The only thing that will keep them away is having no food they can get to. You could try putting some food on the ground and let the mice take that instead of going in the cases. Or else you could use smaller wire. Unless there are many of them I wouldn't be too concerned. They just don't bother each other.

ed

amundb wrote:
Which we have many ferals.
Thay dont seem to be doing a good job.
I will head to the pet store soon to get live traps, or some stores that have them.
Thanks.:)

We had one in our house about a month ago. J.Behr would alert us to its location by stomping. He isn't so good at sharing I guess. Anyway, we used a trap and caught it. Luckily for us we just had the one (which is unbelievable I realize but it has been a month and we have no evidence at all of more). *knocking on wood*

I have had a mouse problem, but not outside, as i live surrounded by lots and lots of fields and farm land so mice are a problem and will always be a problem. I tried a few things, one is pepermint oil, on cotton balls around the areas that the mouse are at. of course with rabbits you wouldnt be able to put them in the hutch but you might be able to do something around the hutch, but of course i dont know how cold it is there. you could get a container of some sort but again i have no idea if this works outside, i tried it inside but it was alot of work to keep putting oil on the cotton balls everyday and then t here was the smell, it got a lil overwhelming in my house,lol. I did the live traps but with them you have to constantly check them, if you leave them for as long as 24 hours they dont seem to make it. We did them for a short time and my hubby was checking them two times a day and once he didnt get to check it till the next day and when he drove the lil mousie to a field away from the home he said when he let him out he didnt look too good. Then there are the snap traps, as cruel and horrible as they are I couldnt have mice running about in my house, you could try to put them around your hutch out of reach of the buns of course.

this is a hard one as the hutches are outside. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back