Not sure what to do

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeGrahamT21

Reaction score
Our Rabbit Alex, has just jumped out of my arms, he landed on all four on our kitchen floor, and he appears to have taken a nail off, infact he finished it off and ate it,which is now bleeding (seems to be stopping). We have cleaned the area with hibiscrub. Question is, does he need vetinary treatment or not?

- Location - UK

- Description (Breed, color., weight) - English Spot, 2.5kgs

- Age - 9 months old

- spayed/neutered? Yes

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
N/A
- Medical History -- N/A

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? - Rabbit food and fresh veggies
- when and what did s/he eat last? Not too long ago

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? Appears to be hopping normally

- any weight loss? N/A

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No

- has the rabbit been outdoors? Yes, he lives outside

What do you think?

a broken nail usually doesn't need a trip to the vet--keep an eye on it as the real danger is infection--never have had any problems with mine other than a little blood.

Just make sure it stays clean.

Betadine is excellent for keeping wounds clean and has good penetrating ability. It is used to clean areas before surgery. Hibiscrub appears to be the same or something similar.

I would reapply once a day until the wound is healed.

-Dawn

Also, make sure he's moving around fine, and that the fall didn't hurt anything else.

Yeah he's still hopping around fine. Wound looks very clean this morning, not bled again. Hes still eating as he always does (like a pig!) and seems fine in himself.

Hibiscrub is classed as a surgical scrub, so I reckon it must be the same stuff. Its bright pink in colour.

Hibicrub is similar, but a bit different. Unless you're dousing his foot in the stuff, though, it's probably fine for him to lick a bit off.

Latest posts

Back