Not sure if I can convince mom...Help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyLady

Reaction score
Hi! I'm Bekie (or GypsyLady) and I'm am a current 4-h shower and active rabbit enthusiast! And I would really, REALLY like to start breeding a few rabbits for show, but I don't know how to convince my mom.
My dad is all for it and was even talking to me about where I would place to cages, what we would do with the kits, etc (but honestly, if it was up to my dad, we'd be breeding and selling gerbils for a living which he actually suggested). My mom adores my Havana doe, but I'm not sure how she would take to having a few kits running around.
Believe it or not, the whole reason I joined rabbit 4-h was to get a hobby and breed rabbits for family meat, but unfortunately there where not any breeders near by that sold commercial type rabbits. Now that I have a Havana-which grows to be about 5 1/2 lbs.- I don't know how I can work around it....
Any wisdom? Thanks in advance!

Sorry but I'm on your mom's side. Used to tel my kids "my house, my rules" it's not a democracy. In the last 15 years we've rescued over 37 discarded rabbits. We are in the process of bringing one here from Oregon that was abused and abandoned--all of the bunnies we have had for companions have been rescues, so, in truth I don't see the need here, truly.

I personally second ^that. There's so many rabbits in need, don't bring any more into the world if you don't need to. Anyways, I know you probably aren't going to lose interest but IF you do, who has to take care of the rabbits and kits? Your parents. Not you. It'll be your parents cleaning cages, feeding, watering, and finding homes for the babies. I'm not saying don't show the rabbits you have now, by all means, continuing showing them AS LONG AS the rabbits health and happiness are not affected, because that is more important. I actually have a papered, perfectly showable rabbit who I'm seriously considering getting neutered because of a health issue that very easily could end up giving him an infection, and while neutering will make him un-showable, his health is more important. There is literally no good reason to breed. All of my rabbits were either humane society[kill shelter] rescues, or private rescues because they weren't being taken care of. I DID end up with babies, but again, that was the result of neglect and irresponsible ex-owner.

Last edited:
I also agree. My sister brought three rabbits home from an FFA livestock sale, went back to college, and next thing I know, I suddenly have three rabbits to take care of, because with my parents having a farm, they don't have time to dedicate to them. I'm not complaining, I absolutely love those buns. But they are a commitment.

Latest posts

Back