Not pooping as much as usual, but eating/drinking/peeing normally?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikethebunny

Reaction score
My nine-year-old Spike isn't pooping as much as usual. His diet hasn't changed and he still comes running for his greens and pellets (he gets VERY little pellets--he has more of a hay/greens based diet) and is eating hay and drinking water. He's not shedding, he's not hunched over, his tummy feels normal to the touch, and he's still as active as usual. He was just at the vet three weeks ago and had a great check-up, which included a look at his teeth. In fact, the vet couldn't believe he was nine. He said he's one of the best-looking older buns he's seen (proud bunny mummy moment). Spike doesn't seem to be in any pain or uncomfortable. There are just less poops in the litter box than usual. Like, I could usually count on a bunch an hour or two after dinner, and the other night he didn't go till hours after that. This has been going on for five days. He is peeing lots and he is still pooping (decent size ones), just not as frequent as I'm used to with him.

I'm flummoxed. Having had him for nine years, I know what to look for with stasis, and it doesn't seem to be that. Considering how loud he was gnashing on hay last night and the fact they were just checked, I hesitate to think it's his teeth. Our routine has been altered a bit, with my husband's hours changing, but we've done everything we can to keep HIS routine the same. He still gets fed at the same time, etc.

Anyone have any ideas? The older he gets, the more upset he gets with vet visits. The last time I took him, it took him a whole day to calm down. I don't want to drag him there if there is something I can try at home (I read somewhere to try pineapple or papaya???) or if this is just an older bun thing. But I will if I have to. I'm so worried!

Last edited:
Most likely the first sign of early statis removed pellets for 24 hours only allow him to eat hay and fresh water. Do not not feed veggies. Try adding some kind of tummy care tonic to water. Doing all the above you should notice a change in 48 hours

Latest posts

Back