Not pooing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffiexxweffie

Reaction score
Valley Stream / Stony Brook, New York, USA
my bunny patches hasn't went to the bathroom all day. didn't poo or pee but he is eating and drinking... i gave him this medicine that my vet gave me when he wasn't eating to help his digestive system move better... and i gave him infant gas drops but he still hasn't gone... my vet is off today and i don't know whats going on... does anyone have an idea?

Is he molting per chance?

Do you have canned pumpkin? Its a great source of wet fiber and might help move things along.

Has he been chewing carpet or anything like that?

Tummy rubs and exercise are also good.

sas :clover:

GI slow-downs and stasis are normally a symptom of something else going on. Could be a gas attack from eating something that didn't agree with them or there is something hurting them somewhere.

Best thing for gut slow downs is hydration. Some pedialyte (drink for dehydrated infants) is really good. Often the bunny will like the flavour and you can just put some in a dish for them to drink. If they won't take it on their own, then you can syringe them a bit.

You also need to give quite a bit of the gas medicine for it to work. About 1 cc every hour for 3-4 hours.

If the bunny is not perking up in a couple hours, he may need to go to an emergency vet for some fluids injected under the skin.

-Dawn

First off, don't panic. Rabbits don't always poop and pee, they do have their off times!

If his appetite is still completely normal and there's no sign of discomfort of lethargy, things just could be moving a little slowly.

Have you tried drying and warming the pumpkin a bit? None of mine liked it right off the bat, but I found if I wrapped it in a paper towel and warmed it for a few seconds in the microwave, they started eating it -- although sometimes it also means leaving it in their food area for a day. Now they think its a yummy treat, warmed or not.

Its good to get them used to it for future issues.

If he may have chewed on a significant piece of carpet, don't give him the meds from the vet. Its probably Reglan, and its not intended for blockages.

Hydration and exercise are key.

sas

PS: If he's eating and drinking, and assuming his poops were normal yesterday, you may want to try putting just a touch of berry or apple juice in a crock of water to see if that makes him drink more on his own. He shouldn't be dehydrated, so while the Pedialyte is good to have around, it may not be necessary quite yet.

ok well while i was at the store for the pedialyte my dad called and told me he pooed... its only a little compared to his norm but at least he went. thank you for helping me out but im pretty sure he is ok now i'll keep you guys posted if anything changes.

lol and i alway panic when he does something unsual because i love him way too much.. wait til i have kids hah

Latest posts

Back