Not persistent head tilt? Is it head tilt??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancybutterfly

Reaction score
Hi,

My Zue is just over 10 years old. He has never had any health issues. His pal of 8 years passed away two years ago. Anyway, three days ago, for the first time, I saw Zue spinning in circles. His head wasn't tilted as photos portray, but rather literally turned to the left. When he straightened out, it went back to the left. It also looked as though he was shaking his head no. The eye to the left was closed. The right eye was scanning, going horizontally. This behavior lasted about 10 minutes. Then he was fine! I hadn't noticed the behavior since. That is not to say it hasn't, but I haven't seen it ( I've been watching closely). It happened again today, lasting more like an hour. He has never liked at his ear as if I'm discomfort. He seemed to settle when I would let and talk to him. He would eat a few cheerios that I gave him. After the episode was over, he went into his hidey place and took his regular afternoon nap.
I realize this sounds similar to other posts I've read. My question is, if it's an ear infection, would the behaviors be more persistent? I have an appointment to take Zue to the vet tomorrow. My husband is wondering if the episodes are age related mini strokes... But there isn't any paralysis.
Thanks in advance for any input.

It could be similar to a TIA(mini stroke) like people have. It isn't like a normal stroke that causes permanent brain damage, but has similar symptoms that resolve within a day. It's caused by a temporary lack of blood flow to part of the brain. With your rabbit, this would explain the circling caused by muscle weakness on one side, the closed eye, the nystagmus(eye movement), and then the return of function that same day. There isn't a lot of info about strokes in rabbits, but here is one article about it.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Stroke_lagomorphs.htm

An inner ear infection or e. cuniculi could also be possibilities as they cause circling type symptoms and nystagmus, but usually with these you won't see the rabbit returning to normal that same day, but instead the symptoms will continue and can steadily worsen. Circling is similar to head tilt, so here's some info you can read about it, but I'm really not thinking that your rabbit's symptoms match with an ear infection or EC, but still they are possibilities.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HeadTiltVestibularRabbit.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

If this were my rabbit, I would be leaning towards TIA as the cause. As for treatment, in rabbits I'm not quite sure what can be done as it can be difficult to determine an exact cause, and treatment options in rabbits might be limited. You could have blood tests done, blood titer for EC, ears checked, xrays, heart checked, and this could possibly pinpoint a cause, or all these tests could come out inconclusive. It could be due to atherosclerosis, and if so daily baby aspirin might prove helpful in helping to prevent blood clots from forming, but then there is also a risk of the aspirin causing gastric problems. I've read of steroids being given(not given concurrently with aspirin) in cases of stroke(though use of steroids in rabbits can be risky as it affects their immune system), and antibiotics to cover a possible infection. Though with our older buns, sometimes the possible treatments aren't always the best option and it's more a matter of keeping them happy and comfortable if the available treatments seem too risky or too stressful for the bun. It can be really difficult when they start having these age related health issues, to know what is the best thing to do for them.

I'm glad you already have a vet appointment lined up and hope it goes well. If you are able, please update on how it goes and how your bun is doing. Hopefully the vet will have some ideas on how best to help your bun and maybe help prevent future TIA's or a stroke, from occurring.

Latest posts

Back