not how much you spend, but how you can save...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabaylon

Reaction score
So I was just wondering what everyone out there is doing to keep their expenses down with their animals? I don't think i soend much at all, but i've learned some cheap tricks. I'll share min if you share yous!:pray:

*HAY-I used to buy mini bales, one a week, for eight bucks. I went out and bought an actual bale of hay for $10. I brought it home and separated it; I filled seven trash bags full!! I shared one with another bunny friend, another with the local pet store, and I am barely on my first bag. The rest is stored in a cool dry place and as long as it stays mold free I'm good for like MONTHS!! Even if I end up tossing most of it I got more than my money's worth.

*99 Cent Store-I have found SOO MUCH there!! I found Green Bags to store veggies, hay basket, food bowls, toys, dried fruits, litter pans, paper bags, chopsticks for chewing on, baking soda for litter pans, pet stain remover.

*Green Bags-I highly recommend them. I wash and thoroughly dry all my veggies then toss them into a green bag with a paper towel and I swear, spinach stays crisp for about ten days; carrots for three weeks!

*TREATS-I've bought all those fancy treat holders but nothing works as good as the home made ones. Every day my buns get a paper bag stuffed with hay, some carrots and other random veggie pieces, some banana chips or prunes, and toss it into the pen every morning. THey have so mych fun making holes in the paper to get at their treats!

COSTCO-My local costco has a 5 lb bag of spinach for $4, a 5 lb bag of carrots for $3, mini bell peppers for $5, and other assorted veggies all for under $6. I go and spend about $12 and that lasts well over ten days.

SUPERMARKET-If you shop later in the day, my local ralph's has their half-off bags of greens and such; I get a few of whatevers on sale-spinach, water cress, red leaf lettuce. I spend maybe $4 a week there. Also, your local "ethnic" market has a better selection. I'm talking about the local asian market or the corner carniceria/fruteria. Prices are super too!

Well, I hope this was helpful!

I also use the dollar store; but I don't find many things at the ones I go to (I swear you guys are really lucky)

But I use paper towel rolls for toys (Stuff them with hay)

I want to buy a bale of hay; but here its $20 for timothy. So I buy large bags (50lb feed bags) for $5, and it helps a lot.

I do save a lot of money by the fact my rabbits and chinchillas eat the same pellets, and I buy the large 50lb bag, and save the rest.

But honestly; I spoil my rabbits a lot so I don't "save" much :p

Hay: Pet store hay here is $10 for 5 pounds as the cheapest. Once I got to 3 buns, that lasted about 7-10 days. Since I started buying hay in bales, I have probably spent about $50 over almost 3 years. I have found a new place for hay that is more expensive ($10 per bale compared to $4), but it is very nice hay. I will still probably only go through 3-4 bales a year.

Pellets: I don't save a ton, but I do try to find the best price. Oxbow used to cost me $22 for 10 pounds. I have recently found a place that has it for $15. There are a few stores that have charged $30 for the same bag. Lillian and Ginny (both angoras) eat a feed store brand that is $15 for 50 pounds.

Litter: I buy horse stall bedding which is about $6.50 for 40 pounds. 1 bag lasts about 2 months. I only use about 1 handful per box at a time, so it does make it last longer than if I filled the boxes.

Veggies: I only give veggies every other day, so I don't spend too much. I spend about $5 a week.

Toys: I don't really buy toys, but they do like cardboard boxes and tubes.

Hay - I buy the extra large bale of hay for 11 dollars. We have 4 plastic storage containers in our shed which we fill with the hay to keep it fresh. It lasts months and months.
Toys - they love egg cartons and empty card board toilet roll holders.
Veggies - go to an independant fruit/veg shop not a supermarket. I have found supermarkets to be very overpriced and the veggies have been there longer and therefore you dont get as much use out of them before they go bad.
Pet tent - a carboard box upside down with a door cut into it and some old towels underneath is just as good.

Toys: When i go to secound hand stores/ op shops i find little toys for yoshi witch are really cheap normaly in aus money its 50c to $1 but remeber to throw them in the washing machine so there nice and clean for your bunny :)

Latest posts

Back