Not GI Stasis?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've been on here...

But I still have Wrangler - he is approx 7-yrs-old now. And within the last couple of years he has had bouts of GI stasis episodes. They all resolved with medication and Oxbow critical care. He had an episode about a month ago...and now he's having an episode again...but this time I am stumped.

This evening I came home from an all-day conference and noticed immediately that Wrangler was ill. He was fine this morning.

He is acting uncomfortable and keeps trying to lay in different spots in his pen (stretched out on his belly or side). I immediately went to the fridge to get his metoclopramide and gave him 0.8 ml via syringe. About half an hour later I gave him a dose of the Oxbow critical mixed with warm water via syringe. The Dr. had recommend 10-20 ml of the critical care. I only gave him a partial dose because Wrangler kept fighting with the syringe and I was afraid that I was stressing him out.

The main thing that puzzles me is that HE IS POOPING. However, he seems to be struggling because he jumps into his box and sits there with his tail up in the air for an extended period of time. I wonder if he is having difficulty urinating maybe?!

It's a Saturday night and I'm panicking.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am nervous to continue giving him the Oxbow critical care in case I am maybe making the situation worse? Because if he is not blocked, what could it be? Or could there be a block and he's just having a difficult time?

Last edited:
With him straining, but also still pooping, I agree that it might have to do with a urinary problem. It could be bladder sludge or stone, or UTI. It would be good to clean out his litter box and just putting newspaper at the bottom so you can see if he is peeing and what it looks like. Have you noticed any dribbling of pee, or urine on his back legs or bottom? As long as he is continuing to poop fine, I don't know that feeding him the critical care is a problem. You just don't want to be syringe feeding when a rabbit has stopped pooping, because of the possibility of a complete blockage. But I'm not sure how feeding would affect a bladder issue, especially if he isn't peeing.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

It's bad timing, being the weekend, but if this is a urinary tract problem, and especially if he isn't peeing, you really do need to get him seem by a vet right away. He will need pain meds, and depending on the problem, may need xrays to determine the problem.

I'm going through my first experience with this myself. I took my rabbit to the vet on Monday. His bladder was very distended and full and the vet had to express it. Luckily, he didn't have a urinary tract infection, but we think he had some sort of blockage in his urinary tract which caused him to stop eating, peeing, and pooping as well. I have been giving him Critical Care all week, but not seeing much improvement in his appetite or pooping. I took him back to the vet Thursday and got metoclopramide. Just now I gave him some simethicone and Metacam. Maybe you could try those two things as well if you have them. Also, you might want to clean out his litter box so you can monitor if he is peeing. I can't remember exactly what my vet said about the Critical Care, but I got the impression that it's not likely to hurt in most situations and is more likely to help.

Well he seems to be fine all of a sudden. He put up a big fight with me trying to syringe feed him a second time. I was wearing most of the critical care. He's romping around his pen and standing up on his hind legs...one minute he's in pain the next minute he's like "what's for dinner ma?" I cancelled my dinner plans to keep a watchful eye out on him.

I still wonder if he is having a urinary issue. Since he is "technically" considered a senior rabbit, I wouldn't be surprised if his body is starting to show signs of entering old age. The newspaper in the litter box is a good idea although I do worry about the ink. Maybe I should line the bottom with paper towel instead?

Hopefully this was just a mini-episode.

I'm going through my first experience with this myself. I took my rabbit to the vet on Monday. His bladder was very distended and full and the vet had to express it. Luckily, he didn't have a urinary tract infection, but we think he had some sort of blockage in his urinary tract which caused him to stop eating, peeing, and pooping as well. I have been giving him Critical Care all week, but not seeing much improvement in his appetite or pooping. I took him back to the vet Thursday and got metoclopramide. Just now I gave him some simethicone and Metacam. Maybe you could try those two things as well if you have them. Also, you might want to clean out his litter box so you can monitor if he is peeing. I can't remember exactly what my vet said about the Critical Care, but I got the impression that it's not likely to hurt in most situations and is more likely to help.

I am sorry that your bun has not been feeling well all week. That is rough. I feel that I am quite experienced now with the GI stasis episodes, considering that Wrangler has had several within the last couple of years now. And Wrangler is kept in a pen not a cage, has fresh timothy or orchard grass daily, leafy veggies, and of course water. But he does get the occasional hairball.

When I took Wrangler to the vet about a month ago, they prescribed the metoclopramide (which literally has saved his life a couple of times now) and the Oxbow Critical Care. This is the second time I've used the critical care. I've only heard good things about it.

I hope that your bunny feels better soon!!

Could it possibly have been gas- if it happens again you could try simethicone just incase.

Latest posts

Back