Not getting enough

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
Hey,
Had a litter of lionheads born Monday, just found one of the babies passed away in the box a few minutes ago. The rest are active, well able to nearly hop out of my hand and look ok except they seem a little scrawny. It is the Mother's first litter and she had seven so I figured that they weren't going to be big fat babas, I am now concerned though that maybe they aren't getting enough, or any, since I found the dead baby.

Here are some pics, what do you think? Too skinny? What steps should I take?

5aff9f.jpg

5pips5.jpg

28cejaa.jpg

I know others with more experience will chime in, but I do think they look a little skinny for babies. Do they root pretty actively when you put them on her belly? Maybe try feeling around her nipples and see if the mammary glands are swollen?

Yes they are very active, will try and dig at my hand and push and dig around the nest.

Try doing what the other poster suggested better safe then sorry. They do look alittle on the then side. They will know when they are full, feed twice daily.

Yeah, it sounds like they are not getting enough.:-( I'm not sure what you can do...I had a doe that never did produce enough milk and I always had to breed a second doe as a foster mom to both litters. I had no success with milk supplements or bottle feeding. I'm hoping others will chime in but in the mean time you can just put her on a hard surface, like carpet, and feed her some oats to keep her occupied and see if the babies will get under her and nurse. My does were always way too tense when I put the babies on her tummy while she was on her back in my lap so the milk wouldn't 'let down' since she wasn't relaxed.

Hi Grace, I am so sorry to hear one of your babies died. looking at the pictures they do look as if there tummies are rather empty. I only once held a doe while her babies were nursing but that was when she was still drowsy from an anasthetic. At the time I just placed her on my lap and shoved the babies underneath. The seemed to find the nipples by themselves. I am not sure if that method is suitable for an alert doe and for six babies (I only had two) it's a shame you don't live closer as I may have been able to foster a few out to my lactating does:(

First step is to try and get mama to feed 2-3 times per day.

If that doesn't work - find the supplemental formula recipe here - I am currently using it to feed 5 babies.

If the doe is sane and lactating, place her on something large, soft, and secure (couch or cushioned chair, even on a blanket on the floor). Line up the babies along the sides of her and let them go to town. Pet her and make sure she's calm and quiet.

Just did this today with three and it worked fine, doe was very much alert, but calm and secure.

i when our runt wasnt being fed we held down the mama and attatched him to her nipples. maybe do that? it could be that shes just not feeding them properly

A few minutes after posting this I went and held her over the nest and they fed very well :) Big, round bellies :) She was so swollen with milk. They seem like they want to be fed now again, hopping crazy. They aren't as skinny as they were yesterday but their bellies are gone down a lot. Will do it again later.

Just glad I don't have to hand raise!

Latest posts

Back