Not eatting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaChan5

Reaction score
So yesterday I noticed she didn't eat much of her food, so I tried giving her a carrot and she ate that. Now today I noticed she didn't eat ANY of her food. So I put some fresh timothy hay in her cage(witch she usually goes to town on right away when I put it in her cage). Also won't eat veggies now....

What should I do? What could be wrong?

side note- She is spayed and is 4years and 8months, mine loop

So how long do you think it has been since she last ate? Is she pooping at all? And what is her behavior like: is she sitting hunched up for long amounts of time, not moving around much or frequently changing positions like she can't seem to get comfortable, pressing belly to the floor with butt pushed up, squinting eyes, grinding teeth, or hiding in a corner?

She most likely has GI stasis and may need to go to a vet today.

Sounds like she has a tummy ache. Get some infant simethicone like Mylicon Infant Gas Drops at a drug or grocery store. Generic brand is fine. Give her about 1cc, or as much as she'll take. I can generally get about half a cc in my buns. If she's not eating within a couple of hours you can dose her again. If she's still not eating/peeing/pooping, by Monday, vet visit first thing in the morning. Don't try to force feed her. If there's undigested food in her stomach, you don't want to add to it. Hydration is more important than food. You can mix some apple juice with water (more water than juice) and give it to her in a syringe.

She last ate yesterday afternoon. I'm hoping when I get home from work I'll find she ate. I'm pretty sure she is pooping. I have noticed she has not been drinking as much water lately. Would it be good to give her yogurt? I defanitly and going to get some water in her, maybe some pedealight.

If it's been over 12 hours since she last ate, you really need to get her to the vet. Usually if it's only been a few hours that they have been off their food and had an upset stomach, you can try a few doses of simethicone(infant gas relief drops), but when it's been over 12 hours since a rabbit last ate, and they still won't eat, you run the risk of that rabbit developing a fatal blockage. At this point she really needs vet attention and possibly an xray to ensure she doesn't have a complete blockage. Then she'll probably need pain and motility meds, fluids, and powdered food mix for syringe feeding. So if she is still not eating when you get home I would suggest getting her to the vet ASAP as this is getting(or may already be) to the critical phase. If she is bloated, vet immediately! If you don't have a regular vet, here are some rabbit vet lists and also some info on GI stasis. You want to try and find a vet that is very experienced with rabbits if at all possible.

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/finding-vet-13366/
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Latest posts

Back