not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuruz

Reaction score
So I just had my girl spayed, 2 days ago, now she is all sad looking, barely moves and she won't eat anything but carrots, she hasn't touched her hay, barely touched her water, I tried giving her some pellets, wich usually she gets super excited about, she has one or two bites and then just throws her dish around, I tried giving her cellery, nope no way i'm eating that... only thing she wants is carrot

I'm a little worried, is this normal?

You need to call your vet that did the spay, immediately. It is normal for a rabbit to have a loss of appetite after surgery, but a rabbit should NOT go without adequate amounts of food and water for more than 12-24 hours or there is a high risk of developing a blockage, a serious digestive problem in rabbits. Since your rabbit isn't eating well, you need to be syringe feeding her a rabbit recovery food mix, and also water. Your vet can give this mix to you and give you instructions on feeding. If your rabbit is not on daily pain medication as well, then your vet should give you this to give orally at home. Metacam/meloxicam is usually what is given for take home pain relief.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Last edited:
As mentioned above, your rabbit really shouldn't go more than about 12 hours without eating or 24 hours without eating normally (carrots and nothing else is not a normal rabbit diet), so call the vet to make them aware of the situation. If you do not have Oxbow Critical Care powder, you can syringe feed with your own pellets mixed with water. I had to syringe feed one of my rabbits and he absolutely hates it, but it could save your rabbit's life. If they don't have food in their stomach it can cause stasis, which can be fatal. You can try other fruits too, although not the best for your rabbit, it may help to keep the stomach moving. I hear canned pumpkin and papaya are good for the stomach. When Buttercup was neutered he was very lethargic for a day or 2 so I'd say it's normal for them to be a little out of it while the anesthesia is wearing off, but don't wait too long before following up with your vet. Good luck!

I went through a similar thing with my rabbit after a neuter! I syringe fed Critical Care as well as water and kept him warm with water bottles. It took a couple of days but he's perfectly back to normal! Definitely call a vet if it's persisting!

hello everyone!! thank you so much!! soon after I posted this she stared eating her pellets and her hay, not as much as I'm used to but she ate, I gave her some cucumber, to keep her hydrated, and now she is acting well, more normal----ish. she is a bit calmer than normally, not running around, binky jumping and acting all hyper active, but she is acting more like her self. But what makes me kind of sad is that she used to jump up to my bed begging for attention and petting and licking my face so my face was kind of wet with rabbit drool and my hair looked like I was some kind of a troll, but that hasn't come back yet... I hope that soon I will get my super loving bunny girl back

but thank you so much

She was spayed 5 days ago. She shouldnt even be given the option to run around right now! Keep her confined. She just had her tummy sliced open and organs removed, i wouldnt expect her to be acting like herself yet. Please keep her confined for atleast 2weeks. No running. No jumping. No fun. Make sure she keeps eating and what not but she needs time to heal with out ripping internal sutures open.

Don't get me wrong, maybe what I wrote sounded a little bit wrong and I'm sorry. she has been in her cage most of the time. I've even kept it open for her but she rarely comes out of it, and when she does she just calmly walks around or finds herself a nice spot to lie on. But my vet told me that if she wanted to move around I should let her, she would figure it out for herself what she was capable of doing.

I do miss the crazy running around fun part, but I do know that she is not up to it yet. :)

I'm going to the vet again tomorrow, my little girl is acting happy and normal now, but I try to keep her in her cage, which she really wants to get out of. but I noticed some spots, like tiny wounds on her tummy around the stitches, I think she might be trying to bite the stitches off when I'm not watching her or she might have a tiny infection :( I did not get any meds with me home from the vet when we came home from the spaying. Nothing for pain and no antibiotics, :/

But I'm not sure if we have the same medications here (I live in iceland) that I've been reading about in other posts here.

Can you try and get a photo of it for us?
It may simply be bruising from her chewing or being too rough on herself. If its one of those things I would nix taking her in and just get a e-collar or shirt for her to wear so she doesn't chew at it and keep her calm and quiet. If it does look icky somebody here may be able to spot the difference for you :) and if in doubt you could still take her in. It just might be nice to save her the stress of a vet trip if it's not needed. My newest bun was pretty psychotic after her spay and did chew at her incision here and there, so she did end up with some red spots around the area which were simply just bruises that went away on their own, no abx necessary.

I took here in this morning, and the vet said it was all right, nothing wrong just her body getting rid of the stitches, gave her some penicillin and sprayed her belly with some super blue spray.

Back