Not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long has he been off his feed. Did you justfeed him and he refused, or has it been longer? Is he pooing at all?Drinking his water?

I think he hasn't been eating his pellets forabout two days, but he is drinking water, pooping , and eating alfalfahay and oatmeal. I think he hasn't been eating his pellets because Igave him gourmet diet before everyday so he got used to vegetables andnot pellets, even tough thegourmet diet did have pellets hedidn't eat them. And I didn't change brand I gave him this brand beforebut maybe he doesn't like it, but yesterday I tried to give him and hedid eat one pellet, but I think it was accidently, heprobably thought it was something else.

See how he goes if you cut out the oatmeal and any treats. He may befilling up on that. Sometimes these little buggers will hold out oneating the pellets if they know they can get something else instead.Whatever pellet you're using, I'd say be sure it has at least 12% ormore of crude protein and 18% or more of crude fiber. I'm glad youstopped with the 'gourmet rabbit food'. If it's the one by Kaytee,there's an awful lot of sugar in them.

It's not a bad idea to feed your rabbit some greens as well. Pelletshave a lot of minerals in them, but they do benefit a lot from theingredients in pellets, so I would try to get him to eat some.(Gradually introduce greens - (not iceberg lettuce, organic babyspinach is good for them) - as sometimes they can promote runny stoolsif their systems aren't used to it.)

The added vitamins from greens are usually warmly welcomed by by the rabbit and its system.

:)

-Carolyn

Don't worry he is eating now I think you wereright he was filling up on the oatmeal. I also gave him a little freshpumkin he is okay now.

So glad to hear it, *nepo*. :)

Don't let him fill up too much without getting his daily requirements of pellets and unlimited timothy hay.

The canned pumpkin is actually better for their digestive system as toclean it out. I always thought fresh was best until my rabbit had aserious case of G.I. Stasis (post is in the previous pages).

I guess the 'Everything in Moderation' rule applies for all of us.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back