Not eating pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralvr

Reaction score
The new little guy has not been eating his pellets. He has been eating a ton of hay though. His previous owners always fed him unlimited amounts of pellets but he never got hay. Should I be worried about his lack of pellet consumption or is he just more interested in the hay because he has never gotten it before?

Hay is a really important part of their diet, so don't restrict it or anything like that (I know you didn't suggest that). Is he eating any pellets at all? What about fresh food? or treats?

Is it the same food he was used to?

Flashy wrote:
Hay is a really important part of their diet, so don't restrict it or anything like that (I know you didn't suggest that). Is he eating any pellets at all? What about fresh food? or treats?

Is it the same food he was used to?

I really don't think he ate any of the pellets at all. I didn't empty the bowl and remeasure it to find out if it was exactly the same amount or not though.

He eats his greens and treats just fine.

It is not the same food he was used to because they had been feeding him the food with all the extra stuff like seeds and stuff in it.

He might not realise it is food if he is not used to it. Ideally they need a transition from one food to another.

You could try maybe mixing a couple of his favourite treats in there to encourage him to put his nose in, and also maybe cut up some hay really small and mix it in, for the same reason. It might also be worth changing the pellets as you would normally so that he gets fresh ones that smell fresh because they seem to find those more appealling.

An all vege diet can be done, but only if the rabbit is not picky over his greens and you can give him a wide variety so that he gets all the right minerals and stuff.

When rabbits don't eat their pellets it can be an indication of tooth problems, I am wondering if that's not an issue because he is eating hay. However it might be worth getting that checked incase it is medical.

A few of the rabbits I have had in have gone off their pelletedfood in a big way directly after arriving in recue. Mainly it seems because they are unsettled but in one case the rabit wasactually pining for the owner. I find that with perseverence they all come round eventually, though occasionally I offer them SS as opposed to A&P which is our pellet of choice.

In some casesI have found flavouring the pellets with pineapples juice, mashing in a little banana or mixing with warm lightly honeyed water usually does the trick because they cannot resist the sweet flavour. This is not a long term solution though and if this continues for more than a weekI strongly recommend a molar check for spurs.

If the rabbit goes of all food then run him straight to the vets.

I hasten to add the rabbits I am refering to of ours all had full vet checks including dental which came back clear.

I have been changing the food daily, just haven't measured it to see if he is actually eating any at all. I know he can't be eating much though. I have also been putting his greens and treats in that bowl and he has been eating them so he knows the bowl is for him.

He was checked out by the vet last week. If it was a tooth problem, wouldn't he have seen it then? I wasn't able to be at the appointment, Matt took him so I am not sure that he thoroughly checked his mouth, but he is a great vet so I would assume he did.

Its not always possible to thoroughly check for molar spurs in a conscious rabbit even when using an otoscope. Does he need to be neutered? That would be the ideal time to get a throrough check done on his teeth.

Our bunnies, like yours, continued to eat hay i some cases& veg in all. It seemed to take them a while to get used to the food/adapt to their new accomodation.

Have you tried offering an alternative pellet?

He does need to be neutered and I will have them do a full dental check then. I am not sure what other kinds of pellets I would offer him. I believe the pellets they were feeding were the Kaytee Fiesta kind that has all of the junk food pellets and the sunflower seeds and stuff in it. I may be wrong about the brand, but I know it was the junk food. I currently feed the normal Kaytee fortidiet pellets that don't have any of the extra stuff in them. I got the Kaytee brand pellets because I thought that would be the closest to what he was previously eating. I can try cutting up some tiny pieces of apple and putting them in the bowl with his pellets. He really likes apple so maybe that would help.

At what point should I start to worry about the lack of pellet consumption? He eats TONS of hay so I know he isn't starving or anything.

Hi,

It is very difficult to wean off those Fiesta pellets/treats. If he is eating hay and greens and drinking...don't sweat it. Contrary to popular belief....if you are feeding high quality hay and greens....they don't need pellets. Our offering of pellets is varied here.....our older buns get unlimited pellets/hay....our largest buns (one is about 30 pounds and the other in the 20s) gets about 1/8 cup pelletsper day with free choice hay....and we have some that eat only hay and limited greens. The key is here to offer only the highest quality hay and greens. Nature intended rabbits to eat a low protein high fiber diet. Pellets in general offertoo much protein assuming good health....of course older or unhealthy rabbits may need the additional calories. Pellets were developed for the part of the industry we don't really want to discuss to make rabbits gain weight faster. But as far as pellets....we don't care if our rabbits eat pellets as long as they are eating their hay.

Randy

You've had him about a week, right?

Every single bun we've added to our household so far has gone off pellets for the first week (maybe even a few days more) they get here.

As long as he's eating his hay, don't worry...he's consuming most of what he needs...and he'll be back on his pellets again in a couple days (given that it's been about a week, right?).

Don't worry, and don't fret...he'll be just fine...the more you fret and worry, the more he will pick up on that, and the longer it'll take him to relax and adjust to being in your house, and thus the longer without pellets. Just tell yourself...it's okay...and he'll be fine.

Every single bun has their own way of adjusting...some don't drink (some don't pee, hehe), but more often than not, they go off pellets for about a week. It's perfectly fine, and there's more than likely nothing wrong with your little guy. :)

Edited to add: Any bun I've rescued that hadn't had hay before, also went a little longer than a week off of pellets, but was scarfing the hay, as you mentioned your new boy is. I think it takes a couple weeks to calibrate the body to have the right levels of fiber and such, so that takes time. But, don't worry...he's doing good. :)

Yep it will be a week tomorrow, that's the only reason I was starting to worry about it a little bit. I figured for the first couple days he might do that because he was happy to have hay. And trust me, he is definately happy to have hay. He even makes this cute little squeeking sound when I bring him fresh hay sometimes!

Haha, I guess I sound like a freaked out bunny mom huh? Sorry, sometimes I do think I worry a little bit too much but it's just because I love my animals so much!

I wouldn't worry then. WhenI get an obese rabbit in they go straight onto a hay and veg diet and are happy and healthy rabbits (well they are once the fat falls off). Its also much better for their teeth!

Aww...don't worry, Sweetie...you sound just like the rest of us bunny slaves! :D

I think he'll be just fine...give him a few more days, and you'll find one of these mornings you wake up and ALL his pellet food will be gone! :D

Back