Not eating or pooping! Please help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Ivy lost two ounces yesterday, and one ounce today. She is not eating at all and just sitting in the cottontail cottage all day. She won't eat pellets, and just a tiny bit of hay, and not pooping at all, just pee. We had a rabbit named Misty who did the same thing at night and died in the morning. I'm brining her to the vet, but first I need to know what to do! I'm so worried, please help!

She is two years old, spayed, and bonded to 4 other bunnies.

Please help! I'm so worried!

If she is not eating or pooping at allfor over a day that can be serious.
Things that you need to get ;

!) Infant baby gas drops with simethicone as the only active ingredient. Some trade names are Mylicon Infant gas drops or Gas X for Infants. She may have a lot of gas and may be very uncomfortable. Give her 1 cc. by mouth

You can repeat the same dosage in one hour X 2 more doses.

2) Infant electrolyte drink (pedialyte or a generic brand) if you do not have syringes you can buy them from the drugstorefor infants or the petstore for small mammals. Syringe her the pediayte ..small amounts (3 cc's or so ) every hour or so. Many rabbits like the taste.
. When a rabbit is dehdrated they cannot break down solid food . You need to get her hydrated and should not wait for a vet visit to do this

3) Buy a fresh pineapple and squeeze the juice from it. (has to be a fresh pineapple and cannot be canned juice) You can mix the pineapple juice with the pedialyte or give about 5cc's 2 times per day.

You can also give her wet greens because that will also helphydrate her

The simethicone and the pediayte are the most important things to do first.

It also may help her to have a probiotic (benebac) which can be purchased in gel or powder form atpetstores like Petsmart;. if you can get the powder you can mix it into the fluids that you are syringing.
if her tummy feels hard or if she is hunched over looking uncomfortable she probably has pain from gas build up. you can gently massage (gently) her abdominal area and /also encourage her to run about to get things moving . if her abdomen is very hard and/or bloated do not massage her.

if she is in stasis these are things that need to be done even after the vet visit unless the vet gives other instructions.

Thank you so much. She is still hanging in there, she pooped 4 times in the last few minutes. Her friends are licking her alot too. She is playing with hr hay now, not eating it.

Not eating usually is caused by something else, like tooth pain, an infection (urinary tract, upper respiratory, ear), physical injury, gas from some particular food, stress, GI parasites, anything. Once you get her eating well again, it's time to assess what may have caused it and see a vet if you can't figure it out.

Since this is ongoing, it might be good to have a vet see her. It seems that trying to get her pooping is not working because there is some underlying issue you cannot fix on your own.

I agree with tony. A visit to the vet would be the best option. She may been in a state of pain or irritation due to some suggestions that tony stated...For instance, tooth pain, infection, physical injury.

Do you know if she experienced any psychological trauma lately? An altercation with another rabbit or something?

I just brought my rabbit to the doc today (thank god everything is ok), and since his return home all he does is just hide in his hut. He was shaking a lot the first few hours of post visit. He hasn't eaten or really moved yet. Some rabbits are stressed from car rides (today was a long car ride), so that's why he's acting this way. Stress can play a big factor, but first you need a good guess on what is stressing your poor bun.

I hope she feels better soon, along with mine.

Sorry about your bunny. Sending my wishes!

Two days ago Ivy lost four ounces but 1 day ago she gained 2 ounces and today one more ounce. I'm bringing her to the vet tomorrow if possible. She is dong alot better. She is eating, pooping, hopping, etc.

Latest posts

Back