Not eating hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ana_The_Dreamer

Reaction score
I had to buy a different type of hay for Nessa (orchard grass before, now meadow hay) last week because the store I get my rabbit supplies from no longer sells what I usually fed her. She's not taking it too well. Every single time I fill up her hay feeder, she pulls it out and pees on it! I've tried to coax her into trying it but she only nibbles it and then spits it out.
What should I do? I'm worried about her not having hay in her diet due to her stubbornness. :dunno:

Got this online:

Cutting down on pellets (dry food) will encourage them to snack on hay (they only need an eggcup size portion per day). Try feeding pellets for breakfast and just provide hay throughout the day. WARNING: Slowly reduce the amount of pellets you give them - if they're not used to eating hay then suddenly taking away their main food source could be dangerous
Try them on various hays (try asking for sample packs so you don't have to buy a big bag each time)
Mix tasty bits in with their hay encouraging them to forage in there, such as grass and herbs
Mix a few hays into one pile
Stuff toilet roll tubes with hay to make fun games for them
Put hay everywhere they go so they can't get away from it!
Rabbits like to eat hay while they're going to the toilet, so put a pile of hay in their litter tray
Grass is also good for rabbits' teeth and tummies so give them grass while you're weaning them onto hay! (Pick from your garden but don't give lawn mowings as it turns mushy and can upset their stomachs)
'Readigrass' is dried grass, good for rabbit teeth and can help wean them onto hay textures (may be high in calcium so only give a small handful per day, try mixing in with hay)
Wave hay in their face and tap it on their mouths - it will annoy them enough to bite it and this eventually turns into them eating it!
Lightly spray pineapple juice on some hay and let it dry, they'll like the sweet taste
Different rabbits like different hays so take notes and once they start eating hay, try ones that have previously been 'dismissed' by them as they may like them now they have a taste for hay!

I switched Alfalfa Hay about a week ago, I switched from KAYTEE, to OX BOW, and I seems that she doesn't like OX BOW as much as the KAYTEE brand! Have you switched brands of hay?

Latest posts

Back