Not eating after neuter, advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI, my friend got her rabbits Tucker and her new lop, Gus, neutered today, she got home from the vet two hours ago, and she said that he STILL has not ate anything since. She has been pushing hay most of all, not sure if shes tried giving pellets yet, I know she has NOT gave any vegetables bc he is new and she knows he hasn't ever been given veggies so she wanted to start slow, oh and she has even tried giving a craisin, I don't know what to tell her to do but I believe that a rabbit cannot go without eating for a certain period of time correct? So does anyone have any advice? If so, it is appreciated!!!! Thank you!!!! :kiss1:

Yes she has pushed pellets and also on a website it says to offer fragrant herbs (parsley, mint, dill, etc) to get them to eat but she hasn't introduced veggies. I wonder if a little bit would hurt????

Yeah, 2 hours isn't long. Maybe she could try just a little bit of parsley or cilantro. That's what mine started eating first after their spays, then they started on the hay. Pellets are often the last thing they will start eating. But a little bit of greens shouldn't hurt, and may help get the eating going. It was several hours before my one rabbit finally started eating.

Thank you guys!! I appreciate all your advice, I am going to also go put a bowl of water in there right now. <3 Tomorrow I want to set up a bigger cage for him, I think his cage is too small.. I gotta figure something out about that. I just got him a couple of days ago...

Sometimes you get a cage or a hidey hollow etc and it looks big enough in the store, then you put a bunny in it/next to it and you realise how inadequate it is :p Just keep pushing the hay, he will start eating eventually. I was lucky, the vet told me that Bandit started eating hay as soon as he was capable after his operation. I was so proud of him =3

Well I saved him off craigslist, and hes in the cage he came in, and he was neglected, so it wasn't very big, I have some options but I'm waiting for one of my foster cats to go, so I can put him in the bigger cage.. but that might not be for another week

My small Lionhead boy has a huge x-Large cage and he hasn't ever been locked in it until we just got this boy, so I feel guilty about all of it lol!

Latest posts

Back